Fireworks-ear tubes

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Fireworks-ear tubes

Postby bernadic » Mon Jul 05, 2010 04:03 pm

Hi ladies. My son is 3 with tubes in his ear and went absolutely crazy last night because of the fireworks. There was a constant steady slow of fireworks all around the town we live in. It was way too loud for him. We were in our air conditioned house with a fan going. He would not stop screaming, covering his ears, and crying. We put in his ear plugs that he uses for bath, brought his mattress into our room so he could sleep on the floor. I even put his tiny stuffed animal over his ears too and slept next to him. Every time he would drift to sleep another firework would go off and he was loose it. Any other suggestions? We need to sleep tonight and I am afraid of a repeat. Thanks.
bernadic

Re : Fireworks-ear tubes

Postby mnmom » Tue Jul 13, 2010 09:20 pm

Well hopefully you are now sleeping!! My daughter had many sets of ear tubes but was never really over sensitive to sound with them. My best guess was that the fireworks just really freaked him out, which wouldn't be surprising as they are pretty similar to a bad thunderstorm. Or, he may have some fluid or infection going on that made his ears overly sensitive.
mnmom
Forum Moderator

Re : Fireworks-ear tubes

Postby bernadic » Wed Jul 14, 2010 03:16 pm

We did go to the ENT for a checkup yesterday and I told him about our problem. He said it is a phase and not related to the tubes. That is a good thing. We won't be sleeping much tonight as our township is having a concert that ends in fireworks tonight. Great. Can I be greedy and hope for rain? LOL :)
bernadic

Return to Parents of Preemies