different profiles between early- and late-onset

The Preeclampsia Foundation does not necessarily endorse any research or news found in this forum, we just want to share what is out there. Please use your own discretion to evaluate any information you find here.

different profiles between early- and late-onset

Postby caryn » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:19 am

...significant differences in angiogenic factors and adiponectin were found between normal and overweight women only in late-onset pre-eclampsia... These data suggest that there are different profiles of angiogenic factors and adipocytokines between women who develop early- and late-onset pre-eclampsia...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20015306

So maybe they'll be able to develop some sort of reliable test that says whether or not you'll get PE earlier or later. Women who develop it earlier have higher levels of some specific chemicals.

It also looks like there's a difference in the chemical profiles between overweight women who develop PE and regular-weight women who develop PE. That probably means that there's a difference in what it is that tips individuals over the threshold. (Anne's cup-of-water analogy works here: each of us has different underlying predispositions to the disease, and preeclampsia is when the cup runneth over...)

Information provided on this site is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the advice provided by your own physician or other medical professional. You should not use the information contained herein for diagnosing or treating a health problem or disorder, or prescribing any medication. The Preeclampsia Foundation presents all data as is, without any warranty of any kind, express or implied, and is not liable for its accuracy, for mistakes or omissions of any kind, nor for any loss or damage caused by a user's reliance on information obtained on the site. Professional opinions on this condition vary greatly. The Preeclampsia Foundation endorses no one course of treatment or "cure".
caryn
Forum Moderator

Re : different profiles between early- and late-onset

Postby mellybute » Mon Dec 21, 2009 09:27 pm

This is all very interesting Caryn. I read all of these and although my brain tries to wrap itself around it, your translation really helps me :-) Thanks!
mellybute

Postby angieb » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:03 pm

Thanks for the interesting read and your translation.

They didn't mention the AFP test, but my early onset my AFP came back positive and so this makes sense to me since it seemed like in the threads where we talked about AFP, a lot of us that had abnormal results had early onset and even HELLP.
angieb

Postby rosalinda » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:44 pm

My AFP came back normal with my daughter and still got severe early onset PE....hmm????
rosalinda

Postby caryn » Tue Dec 22, 2009 06:14 pm

Well, this test wasn't the AFP, but a measure of other soluble factors in the bloodstream.

PE is weird that way -- lots and lots and LOTS of soluble factors are off in the population, but don't have great predictive or diagnostic value -- which means that most of the diagnostic tests they've attempted to devise don't work all that well.

There was a recent news report about a [url="http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=37305"]test[/url] that was going to be both specific and sensitive enough to use, but I don't know when it will be broadly available. Quickly I hope; moving us to a different schedule of care will probably save a lot of lives, since the docs will be waiting for things to go kablooey and so we'll be treated before catastrophe strikes (get steroids on board if they're appropriate, be delivered before gettign really really sick, etc.)
caryn
Forum Moderator

Return to Announcements and Preeclampsia in the News