Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Mary Sleeping with us

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

Re : Mary Sleeping with us

Postby caryn » Tue May 11, 2010 09:02 am

I just want to say that I am no help whatsoever with this, for the same set of reasons. :)
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby milesymommy » Tue May 11, 2010 10:53 am

I'm no help either. Check out Dr. Sears website. Both our boys sleep with us, but it was my DH's idea when DS1 was only a week or two old, so obviously he supports it. I love having them so close; I work so in a way its more time with them, and it makes them feel loved and secure.
I am really thankful we've done this; DS1 developed kissing tonsils and severe sleep apnea that we would not have caught so soon if he hadn't been sleeping with us.
It has its challenges as well. I never get uninterrupted sleep. My hubby and I always have someone between us, so I miss our cuddling. We have to sneak away from the bed for you know what... but I love being this close to my boys. Plus DH travels a lot, and I don't think I could stand not having them next to me when he's away. I'd be up all night checking on them.
My DH gave me the cutest mother's day card - on the front it was 3 sets of feet - 2 adults with kids feet in between... and said something like "someone's come between us..." and inside it said something like "but I'm ok with that".
milesymommy

Postby jamie w » Tue May 11, 2010 12:42 am

We have the opposite problem. We both wanted our daughter back in her own bed but she gets tube feedings at night and vomits frequently and gets tangled up in the tubing so we have to have her in our room. We finally decided to move her toddler bed into our room. It is at the foot of our bed. That way she is in there with us so we can hear her but we get our bed back and the closeness that we need for our marriage. Maybe that might work for you?
jamie w

Postby jayme » Thu May 13, 2010 01:28 pm

All my kids have slept in my bed at some point- and it goes in phases. My twins still do sometimes- but none of the bigger ones do. I say if you're comfy with her there, and she's happy there, let it go until you're both ready to make the change.
jayme

Postby jend01 » Thu May 13, 2010 04:55 pm

my son is 22 months and my dh and I are both fine with him sleeping in our bed. I miss him when he sleeps in his own bed :(
jend01

Postby joker » Fri May 14, 2010 12:07 am

I don't have any advice...Alison sleeps with us too and both DH & I enjoy it. I am getting a little bit more ready to get my bed back, but I've tried a few different methods to get her back in her crib and it is a no go. So I figure it is more about when she is ready.
joker

Postby glimmer » Sun May 23, 2010 05:30 pm

There are no rules you know except what your and your DH want. We have a family bed of four (actually two futon matresses next to each other) and it works well for us. Can you talk to your DH and see if you can come up with a plan that works for both of you?
glimmer

Postby lucy » Wed May 26, 2010 04:40 am

I am still struggling with getting my 3 yr old out of my bed and now have my 17 month old there also so I am not alotta help, however it did get easier to get my 3 yr old in her own bed once she was talking and wer could rationlize with her, maybe not the best solution for everyone but it worked for us.
lucy

Postby brandib » Thu May 27, 2010 04:33 pm

Wow! I am so jealous of your husbands who let your kids sleep with you. Me and my husband have had it out more than once over that. I want them too, he doesn't at all. I wish it were different. My daughter ( who is four now) got to sleep with us the most which hasn't been much at all. One time in the middle of the night I heard her say " Mama, will you "nuggle" with me" and my husband said she couldn't come in my bed. I'll never live down not going and picking her up anyways :0(.......she never said it again and then she got old enough to ask properly by saying "snuggle" instead of "nuggle wif me". It's one of those " knife in the chest" moments. My husband believes kids belong in their own beds. I slept with my mom till I was sixteen!
brandib

Postby brandib » Sat May 29, 2010 01:03 am

ajpratt----I know its tough!!! Sometimes its just downright hurtful! I tell him those exact words----they are only little once and etc and it doesn't budge him! Now, he is an excellent father who plays on the floor with them, rocks them to sleep, reads stories, takes them to the park, prays every night with them etc, but sleeping in bed with us is just one thing he doesn't believe in. It's hard. I always think of that song " Let them be little" when it says " let them sleep in the middle." geeez, I gotta quit talking about this!!!!! :0(
brandib

Return to After your baby is born .....