Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Just checking in ...

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

Just checking in ...

Postby aundapenner » Fri Sep 24, 2010 06:03 pm

by aundapenner (1624 Posts), Fri Sep 24, 2010 06:03 pm

I have been away awhile ... well, the forum showed the last time I was here was in February so I guess it really has been a while. Oops! :)

Just wanted to give a brief update on me and the kiddoes.

Me - I am still on meds for my PPD. I am only recently starting to realize that my life before PE, the feelings I had then, that it is possible to feel like me again. I am taking a German language class - and through the language school, will begin working teaching English to children. It's a far cry from the corporate world I left 4 years ago, but it will give me what I need.

Henry - well, he's 4.5 now. Just over 30 pounds. Skinny kid. I am SO thankful for pants with the adjustable waistband - or better yet, farm pants (overalls). He potty trained pretty much on his own - or maybe it was just that I never pushed. He was doing okay at night for a while, but is back in dipes at night.

He has had a 2nd operation for tubes in his ears - in which they discovered a 5mm hole in his left ear. He has begun speech therapy 2 months ago, but with a bit more pushing from me, will be getting an early intervention assessment soon. He hears 70% in his left ear and 90% in his right. The docs do not believe the hole will close up on its own and will require surgery years down the road to close it up.

In the meantime, he is now in preschool full-time. His language skills are greatly improving - though he mixes his languages - all very typical of bilingual kids. He is making friends and thriving. He is an amazing kid. Just the other day, he pretended to cry, with his hands to his face and when I asked him what he was doing he told me he just needed some attention. (we cuddled then)

Sofia is 19 months old this week. It is absolutely amazing to me to see the differences between the two - part of it is the sex factor, part of it is being the second-born. But to me, a large part of the differences are the things she does that are more "on-tract" for her age. She speaks many words - or tries to. She loves baby sign language, will try to draw just like Henry (laying down on the floor and coloring on paper), walks up the stairs and tries to walk down and well, doing well.

She also had tubes placed 3 months ago. The surgery had complications, as she bled tremendously afterwards and was very limp. They had to put her under a 2nd time to cauterize the bleeding. And while it was horrible to see her like that, the surgery was successful and (so far) seem to be working.

Well, that's my brief update. :)

aundapenner

Re : Just checking in ...

Postby patty » Sun Sep 26, 2010 03:37 pm

by patty (667 Posts), Sun Sep 26, 2010 03:37 pm

Good to hear from you and get updates on you and your little ones.
patty

Postby denise » Sun Sep 26, 2010 07:19 pm

by denise (5480 Posts), Sun Sep 26, 2010 07:19 pm

Hey Alice! Glad to hear things are going okay for you guys! You still knitting?
denise

Postby aundapenner » Mon Sep 27, 2010 05:20 pm

by aundapenner (1624 Posts), Mon Sep 27, 2010 05:20 pm

Thanks guys! It's nice to finally be finding me again - and that includes coming back here to say hi.

Yup, I am officially a knitting fool :)

GTG - Sofia is trying to helpo type ...

aundapenner

Postby jamie w » Fri Oct 08, 2010 06:50 am

by jamie w (978 Posts), Fri Oct 08, 2010 06:50 am

I am so glad to see you back! I've missed you!
jamie w

Postby joker » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:54 am

by joker (1212 Posts), Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:54 am

Glad to hear the update and that everyone is doing well!
joker

Return to After your baby is born .....