New - Lil Bit still in NICU

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

New - Lil Bit still in NICU

Postby moni » Sun Aug 02, 2009 03:03 am

I have really enjoyed reading all the new (and old) messages here and it has really enlightened me on what to possibly expect with our Bethany. I was on bedrest for over 5 weeks when one day going to the grocery store I started bleeding.. I ended up with Pre-e, High blood pressure, and DD was in a footling breech position. She decided to kick herself out at 27 +1. She is now 36 weeks and she is taking 5 of her 8 feeds and still not holding her body temp well and at this time just frustrated. I go to the hospital daily to do as much as I can. It is great to see that my fears are valid, as talking to people who have not experienced a preemie, while they try to understand, just can't understand feeding there baby worrying about a brady and then having to bring them back when you might be at home alone.

Anyway, its great to see posts of people who can't sleep, worry, bust most important, realize that they do come home. Today is day 61 and I feel like I am going to explode sometimes. Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself a bit and let everyone know that I really enjoy all the reading.
moni

Re : New - Lil Bit still in NICU

Postby trish » Sun Aug 02, 2009 09:35 am

Welcome & congrats on your new daughter! I'm glad to see you found us (but ot that you had to have PE to do so). Post as much as you'd like & feel free to ask any questions you might have. As you've seen, there are plenty of mamas who have been there, done that.
trish
Forum Moderator

Postby jenn » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:37 am

Echoing Trish.
It's nice to meet you and congrats on your new daughter!!
How are you doing now? Is your blood pressure improving??
jenn
Forum Moderator

Postby patty » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:56 am

Welcome it is nice to meet you :). Your frustration is completely normal. The NICU can feel like an eternity Wishing you the best of luck and hopes that your little girl will get home soon. The NICU is such a unique experience it is great to find others who understand. This is a great forum to get that support.
patty

Postby moni » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:20 pm

Thanks for the welcomes! As for my blood pressure, it stayed up so I had to get prescibed meds from my family Dr. It runs on my family I had just dodged it until recently lol.

We are at the growing/feeding stage that I have read so much about. They have her eating every 3 hours 53 cc right now. She is right at 6 lbs (5lb 14 oz). I sit here thinking I am going to miss the monitors when I feed her. I call and they say she took her feedings well but when I go she has a brady here and there and I keep thinking is it me did I do something wront. They insist I'm not but what about when she is home. Now I stare at her lil chest when she eats going ok drink drink breathe repeat and try not to look at the monitor since she wont have it at home.

I love the ideas of keeping her awake at feedings since that is the key, and of course you can't do any of the good ones at the NICU so I think in some ways I will feel more confident when I get home so I can try some different techniques to keep the little eyes open while she eats!

Thanks for letting me rant and hopefully the feelings of inadequate go away soon and I feel like I can really do this. Blah!
moni

Return to Parents of Preemies