My little preemie is not so little anymore!

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

My little preemie is not so little anymore!

Postby joker » Tue Aug 18, 2009 03:51 pm

Alison had her 4month appt yesterday and she is now a whopping 15lbs & 24 inches long! She is a chunker! So in four months she's gained 10lbs and 8 inches. Wow. She is doing ok on her development too. She is pushing up when on her tummy and very talkative, but isn't quite grabbing for things yet, which is ok with the pedi because of her adjusted age.

The only issue is that her head is flat. The pedi said more tummy time, but honestly, I don't know if we can do any more than what we are doing. We let her nap on her tummy, she gets tummy time throughout the day at the sitters, we put her in different seats all the time so she is constantly in a different sitting position, etc. I don't know what else to do so I went out and bought a bumbo seat. Hopefully she'll start sitting soon and that will help. I feel bad though, like I've done something wrong.

All in all, she is doing really well and I feel so blessed to have her.
joker

Re : My little preemie is not so little anymore!

Postby julieb » Tue Aug 18, 2009 04:07 pm

Mason's head was flat on one side because he had tight neck muscles and always kept his head turned to one side. As soon as he started sitting more it got much better and his therapist said that as his brain grew his head would round out. Don't feel guilty about it...Mason's therapist told me that most kids have a flat spot somewhere because we put babies to sleep on their back now. She sounds like she is doing great!!
julieb

Postby lilliputianmama » Tue Aug 18, 2009 05:34 pm

My second daughter also had a flat spot on her head, pretty significant actually. Another option is to always lay them on the opposite side of the flat spot and to keep her upright as much as possible. Like Julie said, it is something that has really come up since the Back to Sleep campaign.
lilliputianmama

Postby kara » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:52 pm

The bumbo seat is fabulous! You'll love it and so will she. Our dd loved it. She thought it made her such a big kid and she could see things and participate.
kara
Forum Moderator

Postby hannahsmom » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:00 am

That is wonderful news! She weighs more than my preemie did at a year old. That is great! Good job, mom :)
hannahsmom

Postby jend01 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:57 am

I agree on the bumbo seat, my son loved it too! It's one of the best purchases I've made.
jend01

Postby darateacher » Thu Aug 20, 2009 09:32 am

Both Adam and Noah had flat spots on their heads, and are now wearing cranial bands to correct it. They're great!

If your doc recommends a cranial band, your baby probably won't have to wear it for longer than a few months, because she's under a year old.

Adam has a flat head because he has torticollis...tightening of muscles on one side of the neck that will not allow him to turn his head well to the other side.

darateacher

Postby kdreher » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:26 am

I have a bumbo as well and it also helps with strengthening the back....I got mine off of craigslist for $10, no need to buy it new. Michael has a flat head, not too bad on the back, at 9 mos. He's moving alot more now and I switch which way I put him down for bed, it'll get better as she gets older.
kdreher

Postby trish » Fri Aug 21, 2009 09:34 am

Wow WTG little lady!! That's some amazing growing!! My last loved the Bumbo & also the exersaucer. We started her in that about 4 months with a blanket to prop her up & she loved it.
trish
Forum Moderator

Return to Parents of Preemies