Post Reply FAQ Members Login

New mom of a preemie

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Re : New mom of a preemie

Postby ch3lsea » Sat Sep 04, 2010 07:17 pm

Spoke too soon, she's back on the vent now and they decided to stop feeding her the breastmilk for now. :( It's been a tough day, I just hope things start looking up soon
ch3lsea

Postby trish » Sat Sep 04, 2010 09:01 pm

(((HUGS))) I know it's got to be so hard to stay positive but from what I understand it's really common for them to need to go back on - especially when they are so small. They don't want them burning too much energy/calories working at breathing. But it's great that she could tolerate the CPAP for awhile & that she was doing well enough they wanted to let her try. Hang in there!!
trish
Forum Moderator

Postby ch3lsea » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:05 am

Last night they discovered Kayleigh had a perforated intestine, they had to put a incision in her abdomen so anything leaking out would be able to drain. The doctors aren't sure if shes going to make it :( Please pray for her <3
ch3lsea

Postby jenmatt1 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 05:19 pm

lots of prayers and thoughts coming your way from here- hang in there, and stay strong and positive right now and take it one step at a time. We're all here if you need us.
jenmatt1

Postby lola1971 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 02:43 am

I am praying for you and your family. hugs and strength and positive thoughts to you....don't give up hope!
lola1971

Postby ch3lsea » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:49 am

Thank you all for the prayers. They found out it was actually a perforation in her stomach, it was not ready for the breastmilk. Doctors put a small drain in her abdomen to allow the gases and liquids that were leaking out of her stomach to drain. It was a very rough night, she was not doing so great, but the next day she started to do a little better...her tummy looked a lot less bloated. Today she is doing about the same...not amazing, but stable, hoping she continues to do ok and get better. The doctors said that her stomach should heal itself and once her abdomen is empty they will take out the drain. So hard to see her like this, I wish I could do something for her. Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers <3
ch3lsea

Postby jenmatt1 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 04:33 pm

every day that is better than the day before is good - just remember to take one step at a time. Glad she is going better- sending more hugs
jenmatt1

Postby somtamfetcher » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:04 am

Very sorry to hear about your daughter. Our twins were born at 32 weeks, but we lived in fear from week 28 on when diagnosed with PE. Don't let it break you heart when you look at her. Let it fill you with hope, because your daughter is still alive. You don't say how much she weighed at birth, but do keep in mind that on average at 26 weeks there is a better than 85% - 90% chance of survival. It is almost certain your daughter will live, especially if you were given steroids at least 48 hours before birth. And, as JacobKaden says, it is well known that girls mature faster than boys at this age, so you have that going for you as well.

Let the doctors take care of the little things like keeping her alive. Your job is to concentrate on the big things, like giving her the love she needs to keep going. Every day your daughter is alive, she grows just a little bit stronger. It may seem inconceivable now, but in 8 weeks or so when she is ready to go home, you are going to feel like a miracle occurred.

I won't say this gets easier, but I will say that unless your doctor says otherwise, it is highly likely that your daughter is going to make it. Despite the fear we all have as parents, almost all of them do. That little bundle of cells is much stronger than you think, and her optimal survival strategy depends on you being there for her every step of the way. Without fear.

You can do something for her. You can love her. That is what she needs most from you. Don't underestimate how important that is.
somtamfetcher

Postby sarah0381 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 09:04 pm

Praying for you and your family! How are things going?
sarah0381

Postby ch3lsea » Sun Sep 12, 2010 02:31 pm

Things are not going so great. The infection is still there despite the antibiotics, they are now talking about surgery on her intestines...I believe we'll find out later today if that's going to happen or not. She was small for a 26weeker, only 1lb4oz....she is not much more than that today. I'm so worried and overwhelmed, I feel like I'm stuck in a nightmare and can't wake up...I don't understand why all of this happened to me and my family =/ It's been even harder this week because my husband is not here anymore...he's in the army and had to go back to his unit. Thank you for the prayers, please keep them coming for my little girl! <3
ch3lsea

PreviousNext

Return to Parents of Preemies