Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Premie question and HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Premie question and HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby christie111777 » Sat May 02, 2009 09:27 pm

I had my son at 33 weeks and a few days for severe pre eclampsia. he was born at 6lbs 8 oz, a big baby for his age. He was born crying, apgar scores of 8 and 9. We thought everything was go9ing well until severla hours later he went in respiratory distress and ahd to be placed on a vent. he has wet lung disease and was on the vent for 5 days. He was on the cpap for 1 days and nasal cannula for 3 days. He went off oxygen a few days ago and started feeding. He had an ng tube placed but were also feeding him by bottle. I tried to breast feed but he has little interest at this point. When he botle fed he had a few episodes of coughing and his heart rate dropping. His sats started going low and now he's back on oxygen. He had a chest xray done this am that showed no signs of infection and the doctors just say he was working too hard with eating and feeding. I'm scared he aspirated, they are still feeding him by the bottle if he is interested (which isn't very much) so he gets at least 50% of his feedings down the NG tube.

Has anyone else had the same experience? A few days ago I thought he might be coming home soon, and now with this set back, who knows when. At times I feel guilty for feeling so worried and scared because there are so many babies a lot sicker then mine in the same NICU, but I'm scared as *. I just want my baby healthy and home. Any advice? How do you not go crazy???? Add to the fact I have two children at home that I have to sepnd time with and try to be a functional mother and I don't know if I'm coming or going. AAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Help.
christie111777

Re : Premie question and HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby trish » Sun May 03, 2009 10:10 am

(((HUGS))) While I don't have any NICU experience myself, so many moms on here were in the same boat as you. 2 steps forward, one step back seems to be the norm. From what I hear, having to go back on O2 is perfectly normal. Breathing, eating & maintaining body temp is hard work and they can wear themselves out pretty easily. As he gets older & stronger he'll start figuring out how to do all 3 at once & won't need O2 help anymore.

You have no reason to feel guilty for being worried and scared - he's your baby!! Just because there are babies more sick than he is doesn't make what you are going through easier - especially with 2 kids at home. Mine 3rd just had to stay one extra day for photo therapy & I hated having to leave without her. Didn't matter that she was basically ok & doing much better than so many babies there - she was my baby & couldn't come home with us!!

Try not to be so hard on yourself mama!! Come and vent & ask questions anytime. How are you doing? BP's ok?
trish
Forum Moderator

Postby jenn » Sun May 03, 2009 10:22 am

Christie,
Congrats on your new baby boy!! Though I am sorry to hear he was born prematurely.
Preemies lack the abilty to suck, swallow and breath at the same time. What should have come naturally is now going to be a learned behavior.
Some do much better than others, mine was not one of them, so I understand your frustration.
Preemie's also exhaust very easily from just the simplest things, like just being out of bed and near mom... it could be causing him to relax to the point that adding a bottle is more than he's ready for. Things like that. I applaud his efforts in taking 50% of his feeds from bottle, that's GREAT! In no time I'm sure your be building on that.
But I promise you he WILL learn this behavior with time. He's a growing boy and we all know how they like food ;o)

Keep in mind that YOU TOO have been through a lot here, take some you time to collect and hear your own thoughts. Something as simple a bubble bath can do wonders for ones stress. I know how easy it is to get lost in the commotion.
Please pass along updates as you can, I'll be looking forward to them!
-Jenn
jenn
Forum Moderator

Postby lilliputianmama » Sun May 03, 2009 07:26 pm

Congratulations!

I think with the eating thing, things can turn around so quickly. When my oldest was in the NICU, we saw babies stay a long time just learning how to eat and breathe at the same times and others caught on really quick. Some would start out eating well and then need to go back on the NG tube. I think it is just best to take one day at a time, as hard as that is!
lilliputianmama

Postby christie111777 » Sun May 03, 2009 11:52 pm

Thank you all for your replies. I feel so lost and alone sometimes. This is the hardest thing I've ever been through in my life. My husband tries to be supportive but he just doesn't get it. I feel so helpless when I'm at the hospital. I can hold him, I pump breast milk for him though I am only producing about 10-20% of what he needs, he has to supplement with formula, but I still feel so helpless, like no matter what this is all out of my hands. I cry everyday, I break down at the simplist things. I know (hope) one day this will all be a memory and I will have my baby at home and we will be a family, I just don't know how I'm going to get through each day right now.

I was delivered because my BP was high, it's better but still high. 140/90s, they are keeping me on procardia. I was also having severe headaches, they are also better but still there. My doc says as long as things are improving she is happy with the progress. I'm also cramping like *, I stopped bleeding then started again a few days ago and it's heavy and painful.

Thank you again for your support and kind words. It's nice to know there are others out there going through what I am. I just can't stop crying sometimes, you know???????????????????

christie111777

Postby missdee » Mon May 04, 2009 07:11 am

Yes we know! I've beeb through NICU twice and both times it's been very hard. All I can say is that there comes a day when you take him home and this becomes a distant memory, with all the sleep deprivation. You're doing all you can and he is doing all that he can. That's enough. Hang in there!
missdee

Postby clayjmw » Sat May 23, 2009 06:20 pm

5 years ago my son was born one day shy of my 27th week mark. He had chronic lung disease and a host of other problems since he was only 1 lb 9 oz he was on a ventalator(sp sorry) for a month and a half. Your baby will get better it will just take time. My son was on and off those things constantly and he also had the same problems as your son. Just take it a day at time and keep talking to him as he feeds and breathes. I learned a mothers voice stimulates the baby.
clayjmw

Return to Parents of Preemies