NEED LAST MINUTE ADVICE!

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
onesock
Registered User
Posts: 1606
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 02:51 pm

Re : NEED LAST MINUTE ADVICE!

Postby onesock » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:10 pm

If it were ME (and it was me 6 years ago), I went with the 37 week section, before I got in trouble. My OB asked me at 36/6 when I was on max dose of Aldomet and still had 140/100 bps "How much longer do you want to be pregnant?" I said "I'm ready now." So we did it the next day. It was wonderful...no mag, got to hold and nurse my son 20 min after birth (9 and 9 APGARS) and I could SEE him (not 4 of him, like my first son on mag from my hospital bed they wheeled into the NICU). A completely different experience. I DID have PP pe issues, but the choice to deliver at 37 weeks was one I will never regret...and if I have to make that choice again, I would do it the same way. BTW...I did have an amnio for FLM the morning of my c section, as the hospital I delivered at did not have a "real" NICU. Good luck and let us know what you decide!

fiona
Forum Moderator
Posts: 5767
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2004 08:33 pm

Re : NEED LAST MINUTE ADVICE!

Postby fiona » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:06 pm

Jen,

with Sacha my BP started playing up at 36 weeks and my OB and I both agreed that this time we weren't waiting for me to get sick. Sacha was 36 weeks 3 days and had no issues at all - and I had a baby to hold straight away and a great recovery from the section. I've never regretted it.

It sounds like he's not really saying an induction for a VBAC is greatly optimistic for you - and frankly laboring and then needing a section anyway is my least favourite option.

But you need to be at peace with your decision and do what is right for you: either way you'll be meeting your son very soon. Good luck!

rebeccac
Registered User
Posts: 761
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2006 09:20 am

Re : NEED LAST MINUTE ADVICE!

Postby rebeccac » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:06 pm

Go on, take the baby and run... (now I have Steve Miller songs running through my head, LOL!)

Good luck with whatever decision is made!

User avatar
julie f
Registered User
Posts: 7993
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:56 am

Re : NEED LAST MINUTE ADVICE!

Postby julie f » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:48 pm

Oh Jen, I don't envy your tough spot!

Of course you know we can advise of anything medically speaking but if you're looking for experiences, I can share mine. At 36 weeks, things were starting to be a bit off, but nothing requiring immediate delivery. A few days later, things still a little off and I broke down in her office, I just couldn't wait for things to hit the fan (my repect C was scheduled for 38 weeks). She said she was just as nervous and would schedule delivery on Mon (it was Fri). I was so relieved. And then in the next second, I was terrified - it wasn't technically an emergency, I could possibly hang in there another week, was I risking the baby just to save my nerves, etc. So then, I started to question my poor OB. Being much more sane than I, she decided to run it by a totally impartial partner to see what he thought and he agreed, why gamble. So we had Jack at 36 weeks and 6 days and for us, it was the perfect decision.

Please keep us posted.

User avatar
heather j
Forum Moderator
Posts: 4883
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:16 pm
Location: TN

Re : NEED LAST MINUTE ADVICE!

Postby heather j » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:45 pm

quote:Originally posted by Caryn

I would take the baby and run, but that's me. :-)

And that's *exactly* what I did with Ella's pregnancy with no current medical reasons to do so, we went ahead based on history alone to deliver at 37 weeks. I was required to have a flma which came back mature, and I delivered that afternoon at 37 weeks on the nose. I was ready to go. My guess? He's (the doctor, that is) preparing you for the fact that your little guy's lungs may not be ready at 37 weeks. Likely they are, but babies born later than that have had issues so it's not a guarantee.

Personally, I felt *very* comfortable and *very* ready to get her out before anything had a chance to get messy.

Best wishes to you, Jenn. I'm still amazed that it's time!

User avatar
caryn
Forum Moderator
Posts: 10203
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 06:36 am

Re : NEED LAST MINUTE ADVICE!

Postby caryn » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:37 pm

Fair warning: These pregnancies scare me, especially since they can go sideways when you blink, especially towards the end.

I would take the baby and run, but that's me. :-) The way I would assess the risk would be: things could go dramatically wrong in a week and we could both get really sick/there could be placental abruption/I could have a long recovery time/etc., or the baby could need some NICU time -- but "PE" is worse than "NICU for jaundice and observation", because the odds that everyone will be fine in a week are higher... and what you want is a healthy mom and a healthy baby.

A lot of the babies here are room-in at 37 weeks. I don't know if that would be true for your baby or not, of course.

And oh my gosh, you're close!!

mom29
Registered User
Posts: 1391
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2004 09:39 am

Re : NEED LAST MINUTE ADVICE!

Postby mom29 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:32 pm

Does your hospital have a NICU just in case?

jen44
Registered User
Posts: 765
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 00:25 am

NEED LAST MINUTE ADVICE!

Postby jen44 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:15 pm

So I met with my doctor today to sign the consents and last check up before the scheduled c-section on Friday morning. And he made me question if we are doing the right thing by doing this now, at 37 weeks. My BP is well controlled, no signs of protein or other typical PE symptoms except ridiculous swelling of legs, feet, hands and face, who am I kidding I am the michelin man. Anyways, basically he supports the 37 week delivery but says we could hold out another week and try VBAC induction using the foley catheter, however in his opinion the success rate of that for me personally is quite low. The pros of going ahead with the section on friday is that it is planned and the team will be fresh and prepared, i'm not emergent or will i have laboured, and avoiding further progression of the disease.

He's basically weighing the delivery of a 37 weeker against my "stable" condition and wants me to be aware of the chance the baby might need help.

what would YOU do?


Return to “Ask the Experienced”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests