Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Growth Concerns

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Growth Concerns

Postby ckthomas05 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:06 pm

by ckthomas05 (47 Posts), Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:06 pm

My DS had his 9mo check up today. He's an almost 37 weeker but he was small bc of PE. I'm used to worrying about weight, our DD was a 33 weeker. But DS's problem is height. He's been on his own curve but he did not grow any btwn 3 and 6 months. Btwn 6 and 9 mos he grew 1 3/4 inches but he is now below the curve. The Dr. Said we will just keep an eye on it and I was ok with that until I got home and started playing Dr. Google. Now I've got my self worried about pituitary dwarfism and assorted other things.

I'm probably just getting myself worked up. I mean I'm just 5'3 and DH is 5'5 on a good day!

Has anyone else experienced this with height?
ckthomas05

Re : Growth Concerns

Postby kara » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:42 pm

by kara (6614 Posts), Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:42 pm

Our dd was all over on her own "curve" throughout the first couple of years. That Colt grew alot between 6 and 9 months is good, even if he's still under the curve for the moment. Kids tend to grow in fits and spurts, and not wonderfully even like the charts want them too. Since you'll be back in 3 months, if not before, they'll be able to keep an eye on the growth. But seriously, I wouldn't get too worried about it. That his parents are smaller stature is probably something they take into consideration, too. ;-)

It's not easy not to worry, but he'll be followed closely. Our pedi would have us come in every 3 months (because one month was too soon to show distinctive growth), until she would catch up. Then we'd be good until the next time she fell off the curve again. Our worries never end....
kara
Forum Moderator

Postby ckthomas05 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:01 pm

by ckthomas05 (47 Posts), Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:01 pm

Thanks Kara. I tend to over think on the drive home from the Dr. I just wish we could be those people that go in, get the shots, and leave without a second thought! Its nice to have reassurance from those who know what its like to hold your breath when its time for measurements!

And you can go ahead and call DH and I short...we own it! :)
ckthomas05

Postby kara » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:10 pm

by kara (6614 Posts), Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:10 pm

:-) I'm rather tall at 5'9", but my DH is only about 5'6", and everyone on his moms side is barely 5"...so we have no idea how Avery will turn out, but I suspect she'll be less than 5'5".

But yes, it will be a long time before we will be able to relax about anything involving the pediatricians office!
kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kdreher » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:28 am

by kdreher (2482 Posts), Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:28 am

At Michael's 6 mos checkup he wasn't even on the chart or close due to height/weight and my pedi said it will take a while, maybe by 9 mos he'll be on the chart and around 1 is when he'll be able to see how he is developing.
kdreher

Postby trish » Fri Aug 21, 2009 09:31 am

by trish (2949 Posts), Fri Aug 21, 2009 09:31 am

It's so hard not to worry - especially when other people start making comments & comparing your baby to theirs. My 3 have all been small & hung out at the very bottom of the growth chart (even though 2 were term) but my 3rd, Allison is giving me the most anxiety with her size. She'd only gained 2 lbs from 12 months to 18 months & *still* wasn't to 20 lbs. She's almost 20 months now & I'm afraid to take her for a weight check because she doesn't seem any bigger to me. Just yesterday at McD's a mom (with a 21 month old girl) made a comment about Ali that "wow - she gets around really great for her age" & I surprised her by saying she was almost 20 months. Her daughter towered over mine!

I've also found that height is the most subjective measurement (and not always accurate). My oldest measured 24 inches at 4 months & *exactly* the same at 6 months even though she'd moved up in clothing sizes. But, at 6 months she was still just 13 lbs (even though she'd started as my biggest baby at nearly 7 lbs). I don't remember her 9 month height but she was back on the charts at least so I'm wondering if that 6 month measurement was even correct.

But, like Kara said, I'm sure parental stature plays a big part. I'm 5'3" and DH is 5'10" but he is the tallest in his family by far. His sister & mom are both barely 5' & his dad is like 5'4". So I have accepted that my girls aren't gonna be basketball players. More like gymnasts or top of the pyramid cheerleaders. :)
trish
Forum Moderator

Postby blznbec » Fri Aug 21, 2009 06:01 pm

by blznbec (153 Posts), Fri Aug 21, 2009 06:01 pm

My son (a 32 weeker) wasn't on the 'chart' until he was 2 years old and it was 3%! He has caught up quite a bit in year 4...I think he was at 25%, but is still a small fry compared to most almost 5 year olds. My husband is 6 feet tall, I am 5' 5" and both grandfathers are about 5' 10", so he has a chance. If they make pants that were a 4 year old height with a 2 year old waist, I would buy them! He is very skinny as well, but his head full of curls makes up for everything else.

blznbec

Return to Parents of Preemies