Noah's reflux and question

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
jamie w

Re : Noah's reflux and question

Postby jamie w » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:57 pm

I will look and see if I still have the calculations for how many scoops per oz of H20 to make it 30 cal/oz. The dietician at the hospital where I work gave it to me. We went through every formula imaginable before fianlly ending up on Elecare. I am also not sure where you live and I am sure you are already sick of Dr. appointments but it might be worth getting a second opinion from another pedi GI. Sometimes if you can find one who is less about research and more about real world experience they might be more willing to try. We tried the prilosec but the Prevacid worked far better. I think sometimes there is too much research going on for certain topics and that Dr's need to do what works and quit trying to reinvent the wheel if you know what I mean. Good luck and I'll look tomorrow and see if I can find those papers.

darateacher

Postby darateacher » Sun Aug 16, 2009 09:53 pm

Jamie- I'm right with you on trying the prevacid. Unfortunately, neither my pedi nor the pedi GI are pro prevacid or prilosec. Totally stinks! They both say there's no documented scientific proof that prevacid or prilosec work in infants. Ugh!!!! We had an upper GI done, so we know it's only reflux, thank goodness. Also, no esophageal tears. How do I mix formula to 30 cal./oz? I'm ready to do anything!

jamie w

Postby jamie w » Sun Aug 16, 2009 07:14 pm

You might ask if they would let you use the GentleEase but mix it to 30 cal/oz. We had to mix our formula that way because of Anna's failure to thrive. If they aren't ok with that you might ask about switching from Zantac to Prevacid. We had great luck with Prevacid. Reflux is so frustrating!!

darateacher

Noah's reflux and question

Postby darateacher » Sun Aug 16, 2009 06:58 pm

Noah has had bad reflux since we brought him home in February.

The pedi has put him on Zantac 3x a day, and upping his dosage as he gains weight. We've also been to the pedi GI and he says that there's nothing we can do, except to let Noah outgrow it.

Well, I know that Noah has to be even more tired waiting to "outgrow" the reflux than we are...the poor baby! He not only spits up, but winds up foaming at the mouth at times, turning red and spitting up mucus along with the formula.

I've asked the pedi about switching formulas from NeoSure to GentleEase or something like that, because Noah's been gaining plenty of weight and is growing just fine. He keeps telling us that because Noah's a preemie that we can't change formulas on him to a 20 cal/oz. I don't think it'd hurt, but what do I know???

What do you think? Do you think it'd hurt Noah if we tried the Similac stuff for reflux and spit up? We're getting pretty desperate!

Thanks!

Return to “Parents of Preemies”