? about preemie

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Re : ? about preemie

Postby jenmatt1 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 04:56 pm

Laura, my daughter the first time was only in NICU for a short time, but I worry about the same thing this time around. I remember looking around and wondering how some of those babies could be there by themselves during the day. I understand that every family is different and some may have had to work just to survive or have other children to take care of. I just don't know if I could leave there to go to work everyday without someone being with him or her.

I am lucky that I work at a remote office, so I have flexibility with my laptop to work other places. I have already told my supervisor, who is very understanding, because I need to be prepared for bed rest, no traveling, etc.

I figure at worse, I could work part time remotely and switch out times with family member. But I understand what you are saying. I feel like I have to be prepared for anything this time.

When I talk about my plans, people think I am crazy and being pessimistic. I am actually very optimistic but I feel like I can handle the stress of all of this better if I have contingency plans.
jenmatt1

Postby l412angel » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:21 pm

Jennifer...thats exactly how I feel. People say ohh be positive...or you can't think that way...unfortunately we have to...because we actually have to be prepared for the worse because as we all know it could happen...and who wanst to be blindsided?
l412angel

Postby aggie95mom » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:31 am

I don't have anything to add that the other ladies haven't covered, but I did want to mention something about health insurance. If you are paying your full premium yourself, you may not have to worry about it not covering you if you aren't working (is that what you meant?). For me (I work for the fed govt so I'm sure this isn't applicable to everyone), I had the NICU write a letter that I submitted to my HR office that stated my son needed full-time qualified care due to his health issues and I basically went out on medical leave until he was 8 months old and then got a nanny. I wasn't getting a paycheck, but I was able to keep my health insurance coverage (the govt gave me the option of paying as I went or taking a debt and paying when I returned to work status).
aggie95mom

Postby marialynn242 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 01:54 pm

I didnt get to read all of the other moms post but when james was born via csection I took two weeks off since I work at a hotel and I sit at a desk all day it was easy for me to go back to work. The hospital James was at was an hour and half away so everyday after me and my fiance got off work we drove up there with my in laws and my father. I was only 19 at the time so it was nice to have family support when we went to the hospital not to mention we are close with our family. If he was doing bad I would take off work a couple days til he was good and then back to work and since I worked mostly nights I would go into a room that wasnt sold and pump breastmilk, it was convient. I dont know about other people but it was hard to stay up there and to fight other people for rooms they had a huge nicu and only 4 rooms so I would stay on the weekends and when he got transfereed to childrens hospital they had a chair that went into a bed that allowed me to stay alot more but for me I didnt have to be there every moment to feel like a mom I knew that I need to work so that when he came home I could take off a couple weeks to be with him although I missed out on a few things the nurses took very good care of him and I was there for the most important things like consulting with the dr to make sure they were doing everything they could to help him or checking with nurses every morning to see what his weight or food increase was I called about 3 times a day I bet they were glad when he went home haha I was definitly there for his surgeries and I got extremely lucky because my mother in law doesnt work so she came to my house to baby sit so I wouldnt have to take him out and he only left the house for dr visits otherwise she came down if we had to go somewhere mostly because he was still little and it was winter shortly after we brought him home. Even with all the running to the hospital and me being there alot of the nights my fiance was wonderful through it all and I wouldnt have been as strong without him. But I think its what works best for you I always told the nurses thank you because they were able to take care of him while I worked and I couldnt afford to not work. GOOD LUCK!!!!
marialynn242

Postby amandared07 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 02:56 pm

My son was born at 32 weeks. I took 4 weeks off (used up my sick time, vacation time, and my boss let me work from home. My work does not have paid maternity leave). He came home after 3 weeks. When I went back to work my mom watched him. I have to say- it is much easier having a family member watch them and i would NOT recommend taking them to a day care for at least a year if you can help it. Also- I do not think I could have went back to work while he was in the NICU- however if you had to I would recommend going up before and after work so you can keep him/her supplied with Breast milk if you choose to do so.
amandared07

Previous

Return to Parents of Preemies