Really need advice

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Really need advice

Postby marialynn242 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 01:09 pm

I have a preemie he was born at 26 weeks and he is doing great he will be a year old may 4 but by his corrected age he is 8 months now he is on enfamil enfacare he takes about 6 to 7 oz every 3 hours and i try to get him to eat at least 1 4oz jar of baby food a day. Now i havent talk to the pcp about this yet but I was wondering
how much baby food there suppose to have & if it matters, and whats more important the formula or the baby food? (Im guessing the formula) also im wondering if maybe because his enfacare is 22 calorie he is getting to full to eat baby food and has anyone had there pcp change there preemie to regular formula? Sorry for all the questions but im just wondering i hate waiting to get ahold of the pcp so I figured Id post on here any advice is great thank you.
marialynn242

Re : Really need advice

Postby darateacher » Sun Apr 11, 2010 02:19 pm

You're totally right...when switching kids over to baby food, formula is the most important. My pcp says baby food before a year old is primarily for texture and to get them used to swallowing real food. It's not to get them actually eating it until they're over a year. Our neonatologist suggested we just have them on formula only for one year...they get what they need and it's less of a mess. So, no rush! Sounds like you're doing great with your LO! :-)
darateacher

Re : Really need advice

Postby kdreher » Mon Apr 12, 2010 04:00 pm

Michael is a 32 weeker and I started introducing some baby food around a year (10 months adjusted) he really didn't have the want to eat yet so I didn't push it. I'd stick with what you are doing. I also, on my own, decided to switch to whole milk at the age of 1 (not adjusted age of 1) and he was 100% fine.
kdreher

Return to Parents of Preemies