Elevated Liver Enzymes?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
joannek

Re : Elevated Liver Enzymes?

Postby joannek » Sun Feb 16, 638296 1:36 pm

Hello,

I was 31 weeks and a day when my peri made the call to deliver me because of elevated liver enzymes. AST and ALT to be exact. I think I would have put up more of a fight and been a lot more scared if I hadn't been lurking around this site and learning how bad it can get and how fast. I am thankful that I had such a proactive doctor. I never had hemolysis or low platelets. Also my BPs were never that crazy high. I was on bedrest and they never got much above 140s/90s.

Let us know how your doctors visit turns out.

jknutsen

Postby jknutsen » Thu Feb 06, 638296 4:59 pm

I went through something a bit similar. I was on bedrest for about 6 wks before my BP finally got high...like 160/100 and I started spilling a 3+ protein on the dipstick. I was getting regular BPP checks 2x a week when this happened. I would be sent to L&D for observation & then eventually sent home. The final straw was that I started a 24 hr. urine over the weekend, fully expecting to be induced on Monday if nothing changed. However, I started to feel off Sat. nite & got the bad headache, RUQ pain and nausea. We went to the hospital at 2:30 AM & they were all set to send me home by 8:30am. That is, until the attending saw that my liver enzymes had doubled since my appt. on Friday. They were still in the normal range, but they made the decision to induce then instead of sending me home to get any worse. So, depending on how cautious your doctors are, elevated liver enzymes may be enough to pull the trigger, so to speak.

Good luck to you!

pkandm

Postby pkandm » Thu Feb 06, 638296 11:34 am

I'm glad they are checking you out a little closer.
I too had HELLP and I thought I felt fine...looking back I know I felt "off" but thought it was just pregnancy stuff. Mine came on within a week-I was fine at my appointment and then at my next one-1 1/2 weeks later I was admitted and delivered the next day. Everything had checked out fine until that appointment-so it can come on very fast-even if you feel fine.

Like I said-I think your dr is doing everything right-go in tomorrow and get the tests done--hopefully they'll come back fine. Good luck!!!

haileysmom

Postby haileysmom » Thu Feb 06, 638296 9:02 am

I had HELLP and was considered asymptomatic. I just had a few mild symptoms but otherwise felt fine. I had pregnancy induced hypertension for 7 weeks and at a 34 week doctor vistit my BP had spiked, protein showed up in urine, and I was sent to labor and delivery. Blood work showed I had severe PE and HELLP, elevated liver enzymes and a drop in platelets. I was induced that day and ended up w/ an emergency c-section due to an abruption.

In my case I had to deliver immediately but maybe that's not the case w/ everyone. I would think if they were really concerned they would have had you go directly to labor and delivery and ordered the blood work STAT. If you start to feel worse or have any new symptoms before tomorrow, call your Doc. If you have HELLP it can progress fast. Mine got much worse after delivery.

jsu_work

Postby jsu_work » Thu Feb 06, 638296 8:39 am

I'm not a trained medical professional..but..

elevated liver enzymes can be caused by several different factors (let me stress several different factors.)
One of these of great concern is HELLP (Hemolysis, Elevated Liver enzymes, and Low Platelets) . I know when I had HELLP, there was no doubt that I was sick. Vomiting and right upper quad pain. The question was what caused it? I unfortunately was not tested for HELLP. The good news is that they are checking it out for you. It's concerning, but prognosis is good if it is followed up on.
If it isn't severe much like pre-e they will try to hold off on inducing for as long as possible. If it were to be severe (which I greatly doubt) then you would be induced.

laceyannmarie

Elevated Liver Enzymes?

Postby laceyannmarie » Thu Feb 06, 638296 5:57 am

I'm currently 31 weeks... I've had High BP off and on for a few months now. I did a 24hr urine last week and blood work.. I got a call from my doctor today for me to come in tomorrow for more blood work b/c my last blood work is showing elevated liver enzymes. How worried should I be? I mean I feel fine besides being alittle tired. I'm just more worried then anything at this point. If its true about the elevated levels then what will happen?

Return to “Ask the Experienced”