Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Splinter Hemorrhages and joint pain

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

Splinter Hemorrhages and joint pain

Postby melib » Wed Feb 10, 2010 09:45 am

by melib (101 Posts), Wed Feb 10, 2010 09:45 am

A question for those of you with autoimmune issues post-pe. After Alex was born in 2008, I would ocassionally have splinter hemorrhages in my fingernails, but not on a regular basis. After an unplanned miscarriage last summer, I've started having regular bp spikes, splinter hemorrhages, and joint pain on a monthly basis during my period. Anyone have this pattern or recognize the symptoms? I'm in very good shape physically, and yet my Dr. wants to put me on bp meds and stop the discussion there. I'm 34! I think he is missing something major - an autoimmune disorder perhaps. For my next appointment, I want to show up with literature to back up my point of view and an idea of how I want to proceed (see a rheumi, for example), instead of just throwing my hands up and accepting medication. I had a lupus and APA antibody pannel done in 2008, and it was clean.
Thanks for any thoughts.
melib

Re : Splinter Hemorrhages and joint pain

Postby alviarin » Wed Feb 10, 2010 01:58 pm

by alviarin (1645 Posts), Wed Feb 10, 2010 01:58 pm

I don't know about splinter hemorrhages, but have you ever had a thrombophilia panel run? I'm assuming as part of your panels they tested your ANA levels?

I used to have leg pain during my periods (and at other random times) but the leg pain went away after starting thyroid meds.

More recently, I experienced some fatigue and achiness due to my vitamin D levels being below range.

I also noticed post-partum that I'm sensitive to salt in my diet, and eating out would raise my BP (due to ingesting more salt than cooking from scratch at home). My favorite places to eat out are Mexican and sushi restaurants (definitely not low salt choices!).

Not that this is the case for you, but I wanted to mention it as a possibility just in case.
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:43 pm

by trish (2949 Posts), Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:43 pm

My BP does go up during my period (but you knew that) and I have had achey joint pain (particularly in my hips) on & off. I did get a whole RA/lupus & a bunch of other stuff done last summer & a couple things came back raised (speckled ANA markers??) but nothing definite. I did find out I was low in vitamin D & that my potassium was off. But mine didn't tie in with my period - only the higher BP did.

I think a rheumi would be a good idea. If it's just occasional spikes BP meds don't seems like the best plan & it doesn't address the other issues. (((HUGS))) It's so hard not feeling "right" when you've got little ones.
trish
Forum Moderator

Postby melib » Mon Feb 15, 2010 08:15 pm

by melib (101 Posts), Mon Feb 15, 2010 08:15 pm

Thank you ladies for your responses. I know a lot of people talk about a bout of preelcampsia 'unmasking' other things going on in their bodies. I will take the vitamin D, thyroid, and thrombophilia suggestions and have these checked - I have not in the past.
melib

Postby missgamecock » Mon Feb 15, 2010 09:05 pm

by missgamecock (6064 Posts), Mon Feb 15, 2010 09:05 pm

I have severe fatigue, joint pain, and joint swelling. I am seeing a rheumatologist on the 8th. My pcp feels strongly there is some sort of autoimmune issue most likely RA going on.
missgamecock

Return to After your baby is born .....