speech question

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

speech question

Postby darateacher » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:46 am

Hi,all! :-)

Had a question regarding speech and my two preemie boys, Adam and Noah. They are now 14 months old, and about 12 months old developmentally.

I know that the adjusted age is for physical development, but what about speech? I did a checklist with Adam for 15 months, and he seems very up to date with his chronological age. Is that possible? How are preemies evaluated for speech? Dev't or chronological age? Thanks!
darateacher

Re : speech question

Postby annes » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:21 am

I'm not sure the answer, my pediatrician for Clover seems to be following a more chronological path with her as opposed to my former pediatrician with Parker who followed his adjusted age for everything, including speech. I would ask! I am sure it is possible for preemies to be ahead of schedule!
annes
Forum Moderator

Postby hols537 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:55 am

Our pediatrician followed Alexander's development based on chronological age, but let him have a 2 month buffer. The NICU follow-along monitoring watched his development on his adjusted age. They considered speech part of development.

Alexander was always OK for his adjusted age on gross motor but on track or even ahead on his speech for his chronological age.

In any case, sounds like Adam is doing great on his speech :)

As they get older, the ranges for normal get wider and adjusted/chronological makes less of a difference anyways.
hols537

Postby darateacher » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:00 pm

Thanks, Ann and Holly! :-) Turns all Adam is exactly where he should be for speech -- 14 mos.-- chronological age! :-) Noah's at 12 mos. dev'tal age. Very cool!

I had a feeling Adam was up to par. He can point to parts of his face when you ask him, "Show me your head, etc...". He can point, and says, "dat" when he points. He also says, "go" and 6 other words.
darateacher

Postby kara » Thu Apr 01, 2010 09:33 am

Yay! Avery was always adjusted age for physical, and chronological age for speech. Just yesterday she said," the playground got fertilizer. We couldn't play on it and that was very disappointing on me.". Hhehhe. She's 4 and it was the cutest thing with her sad little frown!!
kara
Forum Moderator

Postby darateacher » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:10 pm

Kara- LOL! :-) Avery's so cute!

darateacher

Return to Parents of Preemies