27 month old drooling

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

27 month old drooling

Postby hols537 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 02:10 pm

Alexander is 27 months old now and he's still drooling. He's always been assessed as developmentally on track for his adjusted age. However, when he was released from the NICU follow-up, she mentioned that if he was still drooling at 2 he should get some speech therapy. I discussed with his pediatrician at his 2 year appointment and we both largely dismissed it as "situational". But over the past few months, I've paid a bit more attention and I think it's not situational, but chronic. His speech is quite good and even complete strangers can understand most of what he says. But, he drools a lot. To the point that I won't let him eat chocolate or other dark foods because it drips down his face onto everything.

So, I guess my question is...is this really abnormal and should I bring it back up with the pedi? Could this be a result of being 2 months early? And, how does insurance handle things like speech therapy? I'm assuming this is out of scope for things like early intervention given he's always been deemed on track and he's already over 2.

I appreciate any perspective you experienced moms can offer. I'm feeling worried, both on the developmental front as well as the financial front since our insurance covers almost nothing and we've already spent a fortune out of pocket thanks to a rough winter respiratory-wise.

Thanks in advance!
hols537

Re : 27 month old drooling

Postby jenn » Wed Jun 10, 2009 07:20 pm

Holly,
Coming from mommy experience.. I never discredit any lingering concern in your gut. Though from what your describing it really sounds like Jonathan is doing EXTREMELY well! High five mama!
I would bring it up again with the ped and this time definitely make your case and point and see where it goes. Definitely mention that you have made a point to watch closely and note the things you have been seeing.
Setting up an eval with a speech therapist could never hurt for a piece of mind.
As for early intervention... yea' for the most part I too don't believe that he would qualify for services. BUT, they might have the right resources for setting up an eval at no cost to you through the state IF it is something that they can treat. It never hurts to make a call and ask.

Do send an update my way to let me know how things are going as you find out more. I'll be looking forward to it.
Sending my best, Jenn
jenn
Forum Moderator

Postby rachelc » Wed Jun 10, 2009 08:13 pm

It is quite possible that this is normal for him. Although my girls were not big droolers, my 4 nephews were. My youngest nephew is 4 years old and still drools to some degree. All of them were developmentally normal and required no speech therapy. I agree with Jenn though about trusting your instincts. If you are concerned, take him back to the doctor and press the issue. Even if nothing comes of it at least you will have peace of mind.

As far as your insurance you would probably have to call them to find out how and if they cover it. You might want to contact your local school district as well. I know that the district that I live in offers free help to children with speech and other developmental delays.
rachelc

Postby jkaay » Thu Jun 11, 2009 09:25 pm

Yes, check it out with your pediatrician. You might be referred to a speech therapist or an occupational therapist. If he's speaking clearly, all the facial and oral muscles are most likely in fine shape. It never hurts to check.
jkaay

Postby hols537 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 07:39 pm

We've still been dealing with the drooling and over the summer I finally decided to push more. I hadn't realized that I'd been worrying about this for so long until I went looking for this post! So, while I was here, I thought I'd share where we've ended up on the drooling situation. He's 3 1/2 and still drooling like a teething infant. We narrowed it down to mouth breathing and then tried to figure out why. After ruling out allergies, we had a neck x-ray done to check his adenoids. They were large, so now we're waiting to see the ENT who is probably going to remove them. Another crazy thing with him that's not related to being premature!
hols537

Return to Parents of Preemies