Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Noah's reflux and question

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Re : Noah's reflux and question

Postby hols537 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 07:31 am

by hols537 (1031 Posts), Tue Aug 18, 2009 07:31 am

I find it strange that your pedi is so against changing formulas if he's gaining so well. But, I also don't know about the reflux formulas and if they actually help. Alexander had a dairy intolerance as well as reflux and when we got him off Neosure (and onto a soy based formula) he felt much better. Neither of my boys could tolerate Zantac. It made Jonathan vomit more. We've had good luck with Axid (and Prevacid for Alexander when he was older). If it were me, I'd push the pedi (or talk to another GI doc) more because I don't think it's fair to keep a baby in that kind of misery without trying some other things.

I forget how old he is, but is he on solids yet? I gave my boys cereal at 5 months and always before bed so there was something a little thicker in their tummies before they were laying down. We're still waiting for Jonathan to outgrow his - fortunately, he's a "happy spitter" now.
hols537

Postby patty » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:15 am

by patty (667 Posts), Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:15 am

I would also insist on a med change for the reflux. I would call every day and be a PITA until they changed it for him.
patty

Postby amiejo » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:29 am

by amiejo (516 Posts), Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:29 am

Like Kara, we had a difficult time getting Alyssa on meds at all. Our regular pedi didn't want to do anything because she was growing okay, so we called our NICU follow-up clinic for an appointment. There she saw a neonatal docs in addition to a developmental pedi. They just saw how much she spit up and decided that she needed meds. They did a combo like Kara mentioned for Avery...reglan and zantac first but then she switched from the zantac to Prevacid. They didn't find any dairy issues so they had us stay with NeoSure though. Alyssa was like a different baby once we had the meds worked out. She did outgrow the reflux and I think we were able to wean her off of meds around her 1st birthday.
amiejo

Postby preg29 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 02:15 pm

by preg29 (77 Posts), Tue Aug 18, 2009 02:15 pm

I didn't have time to read all the posts, but Prevacid worked for us also. My DD was turning blue her refulx was so bad at one point. Thickening her formula worked wonders for us and while she still had refulx it did not cause major problems and did not seem to bother her too much. Good luck and lots of good thoughts for Noah!
preg29

Previous

Return to Parents of Preemies