language development, moving backwards

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

language development, moving backwards

Postby joannek » Sat Oct 17, 2009 07:52 am

hello ladies,
Sara will be two in a month, and I just KNOW that her language skills are seriously lacking. I myself was a late bloomer in the language department, as was my husbands sister, so I guess there might be some genetics at play.
But one thing I noticed, and I am wondering if it is normal, is that it seems that Sara has stopped using certain words. For example, she used to point to pictures of herself and say "Sa" now it's just "da" her generic term for EVERYTHING.
Anyone else out there experience backsliding on the language front? I try not to worry about it too much, after all, no one has ever graduated from high school not talking :) but I don't want her to be seriously behind either.
joannek

Re : language development, moving backwards

Postby sheri-ct » Sat Oct 17, 2009 09:29 am

My twins (almost 27 months) are both receiving speech therapy. I have noticed that while they are using new words, they are also dropping some words. I asked the ST and she said it was normal to some extent. Is she adding more meaningful words at the same time? Have you ever had her tested by EI? It's free and so worth it! Some kids are just "late bloomer". My DS is pretty far behind, but I have been told that he will catch up and his comprehension is really good. Do you sign with her at all? The ST had taught them some signs (more, eat, drink, help, book) and it has really helped.

Sheri
sheri-ct
Forum Moderator

Postby hannahsmom » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:40 am

I believe most states offer early intervention at no cost, regardless of income. We started Hannah in Speech Therapy at age 2. They weren't sure if her speech delay was due to her chronic ear infections - she has had three sets of tubes, or they thought it could be her prematurity. She was in speech for probably two years and it did wonders for her. You would never be able to tell that she ever had any probems. It wouldn't hurt to have your little one screened. Good luck!
hannahsmom

Postby joannek » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:47 am

It is something that I will definately ask about at our 2 yr check up in a few weeks. I'm not sure if there is anything available in our nearest town (100 miles away) because I'll be honest, We're aready doing the weekly 230 mile one way trip to the doc for this pregnancy and I am NOT looking forward to doing it after the kid is born for speech therapy. it is something I might have to just educate myself on and do on my own.
joannek

Postby hannahsmom » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:54 am

Joanne,

Our speech therapist came to us. They may have someone close to your area that can come to your home. Ours came to our home and then when Hannah started in daycare, they went to her daycare. It's a state run program so we didn't have to pay anything. The main reason we had to start Hannah in Speech was because she was only saying two-word sentences, and then she went back to only saying one word at a time. It was caught early and she progressed well. Hopefully the therapists in your state travel, as well.
hannahsmom

Postby joannek » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:04 am

Hopefully! I am concerned because she does not put words together. She is barely even putting syllables together. i just don't think that's right.
joannek

Postby jamie w » Sat Oct 17, 2009 03:35 pm

I am pretty sure that EI is required to come to you. We also live in a very rural area but the speech therapist comes to our house weekly.
jamie w

Postby mother bear » Sat Oct 17, 2009 07:10 pm

My little preemie was only saying 10 words (including grunts) by 2 years old, so go for the EI. When she finally learned to say "da", she also dropped a few words in preference of saying "da" for lots of different things for a month or three. Speech therapy came to us, and it was free (excluding insurance deductible). What's the worst that happens? She gets evaluated and they say no she's not delayed enough? Go for the mommy instinct.
mother bear

Postby amanda » Tue Oct 20, 2009 09:29 am

Hi Joanne -
We are doing the EI evaluation currently. Jamie is right that EI comes to you - maybe there is some reason why it wouldn't but I can't think of one - for us they have ST all over the state so they link you with the closest one. There must be one that works through the school system because as of age 3 all those services are handled through schools. Anna Grace is a month younger than Sara but she makes the same number of sounds that it appears that Sara makes. She also goes in spurts - using more sounds than others from time to time. You are right that, accoring to the baby books they should be putting words together but when we did the evaluation they said that, for most children, once they get the 'hang' of talking they move pretty quick to linking words - especially when they are 2 or older.

Finally, and this what they stressed most. Does Sara 'know' what the words mean and is she adding 'more' word meanings? Receptive Language is what they called it. Anna Grace knows what the words mean - like - go put your diaper in the garbage can or bring me your shoes so she understands language but isn't using it (we are though screaming a lot and yes, I'm afraid to admit biting) and that, they said, is actually something that would concerning - if she wasn't understanding words or losing what words meant.

Hope this helps - if you would like I'll be happy to keep you in the loop as to what they say and what types of things they do if you want to piggy back off of what we are going to be doing.

amanda
Forum Moderator

Postby joannek » Tue Oct 20, 2009 06:15 pm

Thanks Amanda,

I asked another mom who lives down here who had an eval done. She said they came to her through the nearby school.
Sara's comprehension is great, she understands everything I ask her to do, it's just the use of the words that isn't quite coming. I'll keep you posted!
joannek

Return to Parents of Preemies