Gift for NICU nurses

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Gift for NICU nurses

Postby dolphinjen » Fri Jun 12, 2009 06:53 pm

I know this is very early b/c Lily won't be coming home for a while, but does anyone have any nice ideas of a gift for the nurses who cared for our little one? They are angels, and it feels like we've already gotten to know them, and it's only been two weeks. I want to leave them something to show how much we appreciate the care they took.

I tried to do a search, but I can never get it to work.
dolphinjen

Re : Gift for NICU nurses

Postby megan78 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:38 pm

I gave our nurses a care package...it was winter, so it had different hot chocolates, teas, coffee, cookies, candy, etc....They seemed to like it, but said it wasn't necessary. Its hard to determine what to get?
megan78

Postby lola1971 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 01:01 am

My sister is a nurse (not nicu) but ICU and she would always comment when cookies or chocolates were given to them. They didn't expect it or anything- she would just comment on how yummy they were and what a nice gesture.
lola1971

Postby jenn » Sat Jun 13, 2009 09:30 am

I love the snax idea's. I'm craving chocoalte chips cookies now ;o)

The NICU that Jaidyn was at is 60+ miles from home, so getting and dropping of cookies wasn't very favorable with a new preemie. So what I did (and still do) is pick up a couple nice preemie outfits at the store and send them and a little note from the heart thanking them for all they do and ask them to find a couple special preemie in their care and share the outfits with them.

I'm sure whatever you do for them will be greatly appreciated!!
jenn
Forum Moderator

Postby sheri-ct » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:31 am

I went to Crabtree & Evelyn and made them baskets with hand creams and stuff like that. Their hands get so dry from washing them all day.

Sheri
sheri-ct
Forum Moderator

Postby lilliputianmama » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:33 am

When we brought Darsie home, we dropped off a big plate of cookies.
lilliputianmama

Postby emmasdaddy » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:36 am

Even though it has been a year and a half since our Emma was in the hospital we still talk to some of our nurses. After spending five months with them we got very close to some. We have sent flowers, edible baskets, cookies, etc.
emmasdaddy

Postby jamie w » Sat Jun 13, 2009 06:31 pm

As a nurse I can tell you we expect NOTHING but we love anything we can eat!
jamie w

Postby ladybug76135 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 07:13 pm

Nurses expect nothing for the care we give, but we do love snacks. There are many days when we never get to stop and eat a real meal. As a nurse manager of an ICU and ER, I keep a drawer in their break room filled with peanut butter crackers, peanuts, cheese crackers, granola bars, etc that they can grab and eat whenever they get a minute or two.

Good luck! Whatever you chose, they will love it. Hopefully Lily gets to come home soon.
ladybug76135

Postby tree » Sat Jun 13, 2009 07:57 pm

I would hang out in the NICU family room all day when we were there since I was too tired/sick to move much. We almost always brought snacks down with us since I didn't like the food in the cafeteria. I would have my family get extra and leave it in the kitchen for the nurses. I don't think I ever even said that I did it, but I know they appreciated it since they don't really get breaks. The nurses really liked the healthier snacks and fruit, but they also ate the brownies and cupcakes. It seemed like the least we could do since they took such excellent care of Mary Beth and me.
tree
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Parents of Preemies