Concerned a little about ob appt.

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
fiona
Forum Moderator

Re : Concerned a little about ob appt.

Postby fiona » Thu Jun 19, 638600 12:23 pm

Amanda is right about the bell curve -pe babies tend to be at one end or the other.

Not sure what that protein means in terms of a 24hr, but it wouldn't hurt to have a bag packed. Let us know what the doc says.

izkimberly

Postby izkimberly » Tue Jun 10, 638600 12:28 am

Meh ... don't have a dr's interpretation on it yet, but protein was at 36 and should have been less than 12. Don't know how that extrapolates, though creatine seemed normal.

Definitely going to pack my bag this week!

hhbeachgurl

Postby hhbeachgurl » Mon Jun 09, 638600 9:59 pm

I have heard growth of pe babies are in a U shape instead on a traditional bell curve....more babies are either smaller then average or larger then average with fewer in the average range compared to non PE pregnancies. If I remeber right it is hypothisized tha the reason is dependednt upon the reason PE develops in the mother.....Ansley was a 35w3d baby and she was 6lbs 13 oz....I have my theory that the stree in uturine made her mature factor, plus the PE affected me way more then her.

amanda
Forum Moderator

Postby amanda » Mon Jun 09, 638600 4:20 pm

It's another way to do a proteinuria test - they do extrapolate out what the value would be but it is pretty close to accurate or at least gives an indicator that a 'full' test should be done (it's very quick to get the answer so it's much better than a dipstick). My nephrologist does them at office visits to just 'check' to make sure that my protein level is what is 'normal' for me and then I do a full test every 6 months.

onesock

Postby onesock » Mon Jun 09, 638600 3:08 pm

I have never heard specifically that PE babies were bigger, in fact I think IUGR is more common. I have, however heard and witnessed that alot of PE babies mature faster because they have been under stress. Hey 96th %tile is great, hope that the glucose testing is easy and your bs's are normal! :)

izkimberly

Postby izkimberly » Mon Jun 09, 638600 3:00 pm

Something that tests creatinine too? It was still just a sample, but something they sent to the lab. They said that they could use it to guesstimate what a 24 hour catch would be. Or that + the blood tests, not sure.

sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby sonja » Mon Jun 09, 638600 10:25 am

What is a spot urine test? That is not something that I am familiar with. (Is it the dip test?)

I hope that things continue to stay steady for you.

Take care.

izkimberly

Concerned a little about ob appt.

Postby izkimberly » Mon Jun 09, 638600 1:15 am

So, protein is at +2. They are following up with another spot urine test, and blood tests.

BP, initially 138/88. Later in the appt. (after I had been sitting a while), 128/88. So that is a little better.

MFM just wouldn't believe I don't have gestational diabetes with a 96th percentile baby. So, on top of the spot tests we've already done that were fine, he wants me to check at home every day for a week. So, gotta get a prescription filled for the machine and testing strips and such.

I asked if he thought I'd go whole 39 weeks ... he said he can't be certain, of course, but he's guessing something will make us go at/by 37. I now seem to be week to week.

One thing that disturbed me is that he didn't seem to realize that preeclampsia babies can go the big route. I mean, it is common knowledge here in the forums. I might be searching around the files to see if there are studies that back it up, holler if anyone knows of one off the top of her head.

I'm still not seeing other symptoms like spots or headaches or such ... but hope the extra tests today come back with a positive spin.

Couldn't get the heartbeat, so did a quicky us, and baby looked fine. Practice breathing and such. That's always nice.

So ... playing the wait and see game again. Always everyone's favorite!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”