Ethiopia and Ghana NEED mag!

This forum is the place to brainstorm creative approaches to fundraising and raising awareness. For more information, visit http://www.preeclampsia.org/make-a-diff ... undraising or contact Director of Community Relations Laney Poye at volunteers@preeclampsia.org.

Ethiopia and Ghana NEED mag!

Postby jgrumet » Tue Oct 13, 2009 01:33 pm

So, I just got some great hookups in Ghana and Ethiopia and basically we can get it over there to small areas of the country (and larger ones too)...but we just need to mag.

Anyone know how we can get some mag or wants to help let me know!
jgrumet

Re : Ethiopia and Ghana NEED mag!

Postby kara » Tue Oct 13, 2009 04:13 pm

I think the problem is not so much getting the mag, but the clean IV delivery methods, as well as the dosing right. Women have to be given enough, but not too much. Lab testing bloodwork and IV drips are what's missing. Mag is actually pretty inexpensive. I'd talk to Eleni : Eleni.Tsigas@preeclampsia.org or Dawn.detweiler@preeclampsia.org. Dawn facilitates all fundraising projects. She might have some good ideas for you.
kara
Forum Moderator

Postby missgamecock » Tue Oct 13, 2009 09:21 pm

I agree with Kara. The dosing has to be perfect. They tested my levels every single hour. I also had a nurse that sat in the room with me and another one that administered the mag and other meds.
missgamecock

Postby jgrumet » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:16 am

Thanks Guys! I had been sending all of Eleni's e-mails to the wrong address!

Yeah, I know that is a problem..luckily the humanitarian group that is going has an American OB on board. In comparison to how many people they are dying over there because of lack of mag- I don't think that lack of training should stop the mission to get it over there. A lot of clinics do labs, and getting the training to administer it would be relatively easy.

What I can't understand is why this isn't something they normally bring. They go completely on donations, but I just assume that one would be a no-brainer. I guess not.

The other group I'm trying to work with is actually trying to open up a hospital in Ghana. They lost their baby three months ago due to what sounded like Preeclampsia and fetal distress. Not only do they not have anything for the mother with PE over there, they have no steriod shots for the baby's lungs, or even a level 2 NICU. Basically they forced this sick woman to carry to term (she lived) because the baby was going to be 5 weeks early if they delivered then and they didn't have the resources to take care of a preemie- the baby was stillborn when she finally delivered. These are highly educated upper-class people in Ghana. If they couldn't get proper care- imagine the people in more rural areas! It really upsets me.
jgrumet

Return to Raising Awareness and Fundraising--Idea Exchange