I'm still here ...

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

I'm still here ...

Postby aundapenner » Mon Feb 01, 2010 03:48 pm

Hello all!

I know it has been a looong time since I've updated. Sofia is doing fantastic, thriving and growing in ways I never imagined. She will turn 1 at the end of this month. She's had a few ear infections and colds, but has handled them beautifully. I think I am learning not to compare the two kiddoes - Henry being a preemie and Sofia being full-term ...

Me, I am doing okay. Postpartum depression is not taking the same toll as it did last time, but I think that is simply experience.

I have taken up knitting (thanks Mrs. Spit) and that seems to be helping me - I can organize projects from beginning to end.

Henry is doing well too. He has started preschool this year and his German vocabulary has grown by leaps and bounds.

There are still so many things I struggle with, but I am slowly coming to terms with them all. I really would like to have more children, but this is it for us. Between my high-risk pregnancies, the ppd afterwards as well as now being chronic hbp, we are done. I am just too chicken to get my tubes tied ...

I think of all of you often.

(((hugs)))
aundapenner

Re : I'm still here ...

Postby sonja » Mon Feb 01, 2010 04:26 pm

How nice to hear from you - I love it when people pop back on and let us know how they are doing.

It is so hard to have that want of more children, but to realize that it is not in the cards. Hold Henry and Sofia close!

Take care of yourself!
sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby joker » Mon Feb 01, 2010 04:39 pm

Hi Alice! Glad to hear that Henry & Sofia are both doing well!
joker

Postby aundapenner » Mon Feb 01, 2010 06:12 pm

Thanks. Sometimes it feels weird to come here and read, but it is nice to know that here is a place where I am understood. KWIM?

DH is out of the country this week - so Henry is overnight at his grandparents tonight. Sofia is sound asleep - in our bed. :) We didn't intend on a family bed ... I still can't believe that it has been almost 12 months since she was born.

She is still nursing like there's no tomorrow, eating everything she can find (including all the goodies on the floor), and can defend herself against her big brother. Henry adores his little sister but does not like it when she plays with his toys. Some of her first "gifts" were cars and trucks so she could have her own (because she, of course needed them - not because her brother didn't want to share).

I hope to come around more oft. I love this site for all the support it has provided to me through the years.

(((hugs)))
aundapenner

Postby jayme » Mon Feb 01, 2010 09:50 pm

A year already- WOW!

I feel you on being afraid to get your tubes tied. I didn't do it during my c-section with the boys, even though I should have. My husband and I don't want more, but making it permanent after all we went through to get the kids I have here seems just wrong.
jayme

Postby mnmom » Tue Feb 02, 2010 06:32 am

Alice, so great to see you! And what a great update. I cannot believe she is almost one!!! Please come back and share all of your knowledge and support often. Take care.
mnmom
Forum Moderator

Postby annes » Tue Feb 02, 2010 07:41 am

Alice, it sounds like things are going well in Germany! I hear you about the toy "sharing" issue. Parker is 6 and he gets upset when Clover is playing with his toys. Some of these toys he has not looked at in YEARS!
annes
Forum Moderator

Postby rebeccac » Tue Feb 02, 2010 02:55 pm

Hi Alice! Glad things are going so well. Time is going by so fast. Keep your head up!
rebeccac

Postby susheli » Wed Feb 03, 2010 08:55 am

Alice, it's great to see you here again and hear about Henry and Sofia. I know what you mean about it being easier the second time, but still hard. It feels like we're still in the middle of it all ... reflux, mild depression, such tiredness... and ongoing bp issues. Ugh!

And we've also decided no more babies. I've had Essure done and it was so simple, so easy (on a physical level). After two sections I was so glad not to have to go through the risk of an op. I'd highly recommend it over a tubal!

Hugs, xox Sush

PS Are you in Berlin? We may be visiting my brother there for a week this April... maybe we could meet!
susheli

Postby aundapenner » Wed Feb 03, 2010 09:02 am

Thanks Sush. I looked into Essure here and seems it isn't available ... not sure why (but you were a bit of my inspiration so to speak).

Nope, I'm not in Berlin. I have a good friend that lives there - we are about 4 hours west. Which in the states isn't so bad, but here seems like forever! :)
aundapenner

Return to After your baby is born .....