PTSD after PE and Hellp syndrome?

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
mrss

Re : PTSD after PE and Hellp syndrome?

Postby mrss » Tue Oct 12, 2010 09:43 am

I thought DS's birth was a traumatic experience and I was still angry and anxious about it for months afterward. I was really hoping this last birth experience would be better, but it wasn't. I actually had a vaginal birth with DS and ended up with an emergency c-section with DD. I think I'm a little too tired to process it all right now (only a week out), but I've already upped my Zoloft levels for the time being.

jmom08

Postby jmom08 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 03:16 pm

Mine didn't rise to the level of PTSD, but I definitely had anxiety, especially when DH and I started talking about TTC after DS#1. Seeing a counselor helped me too -- mine specializes in reproductive & mothering issues. In one of her books she recommends walks with baby to help new moms, I think it is great that you are doing that. :) Hugs to you & baby!

sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby sam10 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 03:57 pm

I am traumatized and have been diagnosed with PTSD. Many of my family and friends cannot fully grasp to what extend PE and the loss of our son has traumatized me and my husband. We started therapy to help us deal with our situation. It is something that is helpful for us.
PE is not just something you'd forget and move on, as some around me have suggested.

Take care and try to find ways to help ease the pain, whatever that might be.

Sending you hugs.

blythe

Postby blythe » Thu Sep 30, 2010 09:46 am

Hi Jana. I'm so sorry to hear you are still struggling emotionally 10 months after your baby was born. I can promise you, though, feeling traumatized is not unusual. I'm sure other current members will be along soon with their stories, but in the meantime you can search the archives for PTSD (use the search in the upper right corner of the page). Here is just one recent discussion:

http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27327&SearchTerms=,ptsd
I also really like this site
http://www.birthtraumaassociation.org.uk
because (unless it has changed recently) it's one of the few places I've found on the internet that doesn't insist a VBAC is the only way to recover from a traumatic birth.

Enjoy those long walks with baby!

jrivasdpt@aol.com

PTSD after PE and Hellp syndrome?

Postby jrivasdpt@aol.com » Tue Sep 28, 2010 01:58 pm

I was wondering if there was any other moms who had suffered from PTSD? My second pregnancy was the most terrifying experience of my whole life. My husband and I have have felt so alone and not having family members who understand how traumatized that we were. Being hospitalized for 2 weeks, and not having baby to come home with. Baby in Nicu for a month. Baby is now 10 months and relatively healthy, however still feeling traumatized. Although long walks with baby have been really helpful for me.

Return to “After your baby is born .....”