Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Hints for a New Preemie Parent....

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Re : Hints for a New Preemie Parent....

Postby kathleen125 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:23 pm

by kathleen125 (18 Posts), Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:23 pm

1. Pump, pump, and pump some more...my 31 weeker was rejecting the preemie formula for the first two days. As soon as I was released from the hospital and home, I pumped and brought in my breast milk. It was a night and day difference with Elizabeth's reaction. She instantly did not have any residual in her belly and constantly continued to increase the dosage of breast milk with each feeding. Our bodies know we've had a preemie and our milk becomes more beneficial for our little ones.
2. Take pictures and share with family that can't make it to see you or the baby.
3. Sign up with www.shareyourstory.org through the march of dimes...and share your story, read others stories, meet other families who have been through what you are facing.
kathleen125

Postby sibyl23 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 01:02 pm

by sibyl23 (11 Posts), Wed Feb 25, 2009 01:02 pm

If possible, bring your own breastfeeding pillow. There were some in the NICU, but never enough to go around. My son was bottle-fed, but we used it for him too. It makes you feel more "secure" when handling a preemie.
sibyl23

Postby melkevans1 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 01:12 pm

by melkevans1 (1 Posts), Wed Mar 25, 2009 01:12 pm

My daughter was in the NICU for 3 months so I probably have tons of advice. The first thing I would share would be to not be intimidated by all the professionals taking care of your baby. This was my first child and I can't tell you how disconnected with her care I felt at my first visit to the NICU the day after my emergency c section. The little one I thought I would be taking care of had instead been cared for by others and not held by her own mom on her first few hrs in the world! Take care, you will have plenty of time to bond with your baby and the chance to do many of the things you'll watch the nurses do at first. Also, kangaroo care by both mom and dad will help you feel more connected - so will baby massage. They are both proven to be great for brain development and pass along important antibodies. Plus that kind of skin to skin contact can only be done by mom and dad.
I also recommend finding out when the doctor rounds and be there every day if you can at that time. Keep a notebook of everything your doctor shares, esp during the beginning when condition maychange daily and you maybe too emotional to completely process some of the medical jargon thrown your way. Don't be afraid to ask your neonatologists questions or ask why they chose a certain treatment. A good doctor will answer these questions and fully explain in laymen's terms. If you have rotAting doctors, get close to the one you like best and get their number. Even if they are not on that week, use them as your contact if you cannot get answers from another doctor or get one that likes to round when you cannot be there. Also if a nurse cannot get ahold of your doctor don't be afraid to ask to speak with the nurse practitioner. They are all there to care for your baby and that means helping you to stay informed and being aware of the day to day medical decisions and evaluations done.
I feel I have so much more to share but will leave my last comments on breastfeeding. If you would like to excusively nurse you will find many challenges to that in the NICU with supplemental bottle feedings to help conserve calories and possibly human fortified added to your milk to increase baby's calories. The part no one shares is that although these steps may be medically necessary they may lead your babyto view the breast as non-nutritive and come to prefer the bottle for full feeds. It is diffcult to move toward full breast feeds when a baby is extra full from fortified added to your milk. It increases the length a baby is willing to go between feeds and will doesn't help to give your babythe drive at the next breastfeed once your baby has the stamina to really start working on nursing. My advice is just stick with it! It took us approx 4 months to get to full feeds from the breast. It may sometimes feel like you will never get there, but you will! Even a baby that becomes bottle 'addicted' can become a full time breastfeeder with work! It may take many tears (from both of you) and some days in bed where breastfeeding is your only agenda item but it can be done. I found out after my NICU stay that there is also a feeding system that can be used while nursing - I believe it is called SNS. I wish I had known about this during our stay. This may help your baby to avoid developing a preference to the bottle before they have enough stamina to entirely breastfeed.
Remember these times but alsoknow your NICU stay will soon be a distant memory of the first challenges and feats you and your baby surmounted together!

melkevans1

Postby marialynn242 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 01:24 pm

by marialynn242 (144 Posts), Sun Apr 04, 2010 01:24 pm

like everyone else said keep track of the babies development and also with the formula freebies and the ssi when I had to be unemployeed because him coming home they gave us 600 a month which helped but I forgot to put my fiance on there and when I did it went down a little but make sure you add your husband or boyfriend if they are living with you because if not the state will sue him for child support and when they find out hes living with you you will have to pay the ssi back this happen to a girl on another preemie website im just glad I added my fiance. And keep your preemie inside as much as possible i know i got incredibly lucky bc my motherinlaw doesnt work so she comes to my house and watches him every time but for other mothers try to start thinking of a way to keep them indoors in the winter because my baby was never once sick and I believe its because he stayed inside and only went out for dr appts. Also there are organizations that provide free therapy for your preemie just go to your drs and ask thats what i did.
marialynn242

Previous

Return to Parents of Preemies