Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Trying to lose weight

This forum includes topics that don't fit neatly in other areas. Also home to our Weight Loss Buddies support group.

Trying to lose weight

Postby milesymommy » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:06 am

by milesymommy (336 Posts), Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:06 am

I'm looking for some *support*. I've always been in shape. Might gain a few pounds over the holidays, but overall, ok. After DS1, it took a while, but I got back into shape. I did BF him. However, with DS2, BFing didn't work out, and I've still got all this weight. My hubby gained weight too, and were both unhappy being out of shape. But boy, do we love desert. Chocolate. Ice cream. Brownies. Did I say chocolate?
I try not to buy any, but my husband loves sweets and he'll buy them if I don't. I tell him I don't wan tthem around, but he says I can choose not to eat the deserts. Ummm, I've got no willpower against the power of chocolate brownies. Or cookies. Or ice cream. Or rasperry danish.
I try to exercise at work during lunch, but often get sidetracked, and the reality is, I'm just not motivated to work out.
Any one else trying to loose weight?
milesymommy

Re : Trying to lose weight

Postby tree » Fri Mar 26, 2010 02:43 pm

by tree (819 Posts), Fri Mar 26, 2010 02:43 pm

I am trying too. I used to workout daily, and it is really hard to get back into the habit. I set a few fitness goals rather than weight loss goals, and it seems to be helping a little.
tree
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Sat Mar 27, 2010 02:02 pm

by caryn (10124 Posts), Sat Mar 27, 2010 02:02 pm

In the past we've had a Weight Loss Buddies group, and now that it's spring in the Northern hemisphere it might be time for our non-Aussies to start that up again! Kara?
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby audrey s. » Sat Mar 27, 2010 02:52 pm

by audrey s. (197 Posts), Sat Mar 27, 2010 02:52 pm

I've been doing Weight Watchers, and at my age (54), it's really, really hard. So far, though, I have lost 5-6 lbs, only 25 more to go!
audrey s.

Postby jennieexpo » Sun Mar 28, 2010 08:18 pm

by jennieexpo (117 Posts), Sun Mar 28, 2010 08:18 pm

I agree we need a weight loss support group on here. I am really trying to lose weight too....I developed the what I like to call "NICU weight". All you mommies that have had preemies know what I'm talking about. Fast food becomes an unfortunate friend during that time, to which I now have my weight dilemma. I need to lose my 30lbs fast by end of june so me and hubby can ttc for #2. I have been doing those P90X cds and working out with them, but with a 9 month old its hard to squeeze my workout in every day though its very beneficial to do it everyday along with good diet. The P90X workout really works well for me, its just trying to squeeze it into my crazy day. I sure hope a miracle happens and I lose this weight in time for june :/
jennieexpo

Postby jennieexpo » Sun Mar 28, 2010 08:19 pm

by jennieexpo (117 Posts), Sun Mar 28, 2010 08:19 pm

oh forgot to mention I've lost 10 pounds so far in about a 2 weeks span doing the p90x, it really kicks your butt but shows results well
jennieexpo

Postby milesymommy » Fri Apr 02, 2010 09:28 am

by milesymommy (336 Posts), Fri Apr 02, 2010 09:28 am

Thanks! I'll have to check out p90x. I have no idea what it is. And I saw something about how the Misc forum was the place for weight loss support, but there didn't seem to be any postings on it. So, do we want to make a place for encouraging each other and tracking?
I work full time and we are encouraged to exercise - up to an hour of the work day can be exercise. Not bad. I'm just not motivated.
I've tried stopping buying the sweets, but DH just goes out and buys them. Since he's been asking for Entemanns danish (you know, the long box - not individual danishes - about 10 in long x 4 in wide), I bought one yesterday on the way home... This morning, when I went into the kitchen - my DH had already eaten over HALF of it! lol. I didn't know whether to be happy that most of its gone (meaning, I won't be tempted as long), or laugh because my DH complains about his weight but then eats half the box of danish in 12 hours... most of which we were sleeping. lol.
milesymommy

Postby katznkt » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:29 am

by katznkt (239 Posts), Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:29 am

First, PX90 is great, but only works if you are in pretty good physical shape to begin with. And it is extremely expensive. Wouldn't work for me.

Second, I am also trying to lose weight. 50lbs to be exact. I am so desperate to lose weight that I created my own website and blog. Check it out at www.losingthebabyweight.com . Basically I figured that if I could do all kinds of distasteful things when I am pregnant (eat healthy, no caffeine, lots of needles)then I can be on a real diet for 9 months for myself. So from April 4, 2010 to Jan 4, 2011 (my daughter's 1st bday) I am not eating any sweets (killing me not so softly) or caffeine/sodas and am in general eating healthy and exercising 30 min per day.
katznkt

Postby wrennie » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:34 pm

by wrennie (1019 Posts), Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:34 pm

i have had a lot of luck with loosing weight, for me its about cutting back all the empty calories that i can...no drinks with sugar-water only, no candy, no chips, no regular bread-using low calorie only and only one piece to make sandwiches. My trick is always having healthy snacks with me, so when i do get hungry its fruit or a boiled egg, not chocolate. I give myself one treat a day, 3 hershey kisses, or two cookies for about 100calories. I also drink lots of water to fill up my belly.Then, I exercise, moderately but frequent..4-5 times a week for 30 minutes only. I do a mix of cardio and weights. I hired a personal trainer to help me get it done in 30 minutes. It takes a few weeks to adapt to this and not feel hungry ALL the time, but you will get used to it.

You can do it, if you can find the motivation, you will get there. The best part is as you make progress people will notice and that is so rewarding! another thing to try is something like calorieking or sparkpeople to help with calories and track progress, it helps to see results to keep up motivation.

good luck!

wrennie

Postby anonpreemiemom » Fri Apr 09, 2010 00:03 am

by anonpreemiemom (185 Posts), Fri Apr 09, 2010 00:03 am

I gained alot of weight after my HELLP pregnancy in 2005. I was so focused on my son who was born at 28 weeks and getting him through the first year that I totally neglected myself for two years. Then a friend came up with the idea to do a short women's triathlon. It was just what I needed to get motivated. So from there on out, I had a group of women friends that would meet every Sunday morning to run. We started out VERY slowly. Like literally one mile, then two, then three and so on. And in the year before I got pregnant last September, we completed three half marathons!

So I am a big believer in finding other women to do it with. On a pre-e related note my BP was higher after the HELLP pregnancy (esp with the weight gain) and walking/running for two years brought it back down at least 15 points systolic if not more. (well within normal levels)

Exercise also helped me recover emotionally from HELLP. It felt like I could finally control my health again!
anonpreemiemom

Return to Misc