? about preemie

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
l412angel

Re : ? about preemie

Postby l412angel » Mon Jun 07, 2010 06:31 pm

What is FMLA? I have health insurance through my employer but pay in full for it. Its juat a group plan. I guess I am just worried that it will run out if I have to be on best rest or NICU time? I just want to be prepared for anything.

bernadic

Postby bernadic » Mon Jun 07, 2010 06:25 pm

I am a teacher so my leave is a bit different. I was on hospital bedrest in December for a few weeks and that counted as part of my leave. I delivered and then 4 weeks after my C-section, I went back to work because I needed the money. It was very, very hectic as I would pump at least 2 times a day at work, change clothes at the end of the day-due to RSV season, go to NICU, eat dinner at hospital, stay until late, sleep and repeat. I would call NICU when I got the chance during the day. If Luke was having a bad day or night, I would call in sick on those days. Then, when he came home, I stayed out for 10 more weeks. I went back the last 2 weeks of school. I had the summer to stay home. My husband was only working part time and my dad and grandparents helped me out because the dr. didn't want day care due to RSV and germs. Knowing that I could have a repeat if I ever got PG again and I only have 10 weeks of paid leave, we have saved at least one months pay in the bank in case I am out of work again. Good luck.

ozierja

Postby ozierja » Mon Jun 07, 2010 04:49 pm

I went back to work while my daughter was in the NICU then when she was released I went back "out" on maternity leave. It really depends on what you employer is willing to do to help and what your FMLA benefits afford. In Tennessee we get extra time over what FMLA provides.

lola1971

Postby lola1971 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 04:30 pm

Since I had a c-section with my last preemie, I had 8 weeks materinty leave right after she was born. Unfortunately, I spent it at the nicu vs. being at home with my baby. I took a total of 4 months off after she was born and since my husband was laid off, he has taken over as mr. mom. The plan is for him to go back to work around her 1st birthday and she will go into day care at that time. We've been able to do this with me working full time with benefits and him collecting unemployment. We didn't "have" to spend a year at home with her (vs. day care). It kind of worked out that way. Her drs preferred that she stayed out of day care until the flu/cold season was over (April in CA).

l412angel

? about preemie

Postby l412angel » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:00 am

Since I had my daughter at 30 weeks...I know my possibilities of having my next child early. My question is...when a child is in the nicu how do you go back to work or do you not? Also when your child comes home do you have to spend a year at home with them? The only reason I ask is because I have insurance through my job and I just want to be prepared. If you could just share your experiences that would be great !Thanks :)

Return to “Parents of Preemies”