Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Reflux or possible swallowing issues

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Reflux or possible swallowing issues

Postby mommakk » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:15 pm

As a speech pathlogist, I feel like sometimes I know more than I should or other times I feel like I know nothing at all. The latter is how I usually feel when it pertains to looking at issues in my own children.

Bethany will be 4 weeks old on Tuesday (she was born at 34 weeks). She is doing well, eating about 50-70 cc of enfacare every 3 hours. looks like she is growing, have a weight check this week.

Neither one of my first 2 kids were too big on spitting up. Bethany does not spit up much during feedings, but frequently about 45 mins to an hour after the feeding, she will spit up. She did not do this when we were still in the NICU, or at least not that I ever observed. At first it was just slightly unsettling, because she would get it up her nose, etc and we would have to use the bulb suction to help her clear everything out so that she could breathe comfortably. Yesterday, I was actually in her bedroom with her, changing a diaper when this happened 2 different times. Having seen what happens to her little body, I developed a new level of concern. She rolls toward her right and lifts her chin as if trying to see something over her head. Her little arms jerk violently and then there is spit up coming out of her nose and mouth. It does not appear to be much, but it is enough hat she needs the bulb suctioning in order to help her clear it.

The stuff we are suctioning up, whether ogtten from her nose or mouth is white like her formula, but also stringy like mucous.

My husband is trying to figure out if this is just a premmie development thing. I just dont know what to think. anyone have any thoughts?
mommakk

Re : Reflux or possible swallowing issues

Postby trish » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:22 pm

It could be reflux even if it comes up much later. The looking up over her head sounds like she's arching her back - something common in reflux. If you keep her more upright, like in her bouncy, swing or carseat that may help. My first and last babies had it bad & never slept flat in their beds until about a year.
trish
Forum Moderator

Postby hols537 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 07:26 am

I'm with Trish, that sounds like she's feeling some pain from the reflux. Both my boys had reflux and it looked different in both of them...she sounds more like Alexander did. Either way, I'd talk to the pedi since it is clearly bothering her.
hols537

Postby kara » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:13 am

Our daughter had similar problems starting at about 6 weeks old, I think. It was reflux. Arching her back would be normal, but I'm not so sure about the jerky arms. It could be the way she reacts to the reflux, but I think I'd try to get it on video tape, or ask teh pediatrician about the rolling back and the jerking arms...just to be on the safe side. We had 11 instances where Avery's mouth and nose got clogged and she turned purple and had to be aspirated. Medications helped so I didn't have to be worried about her not being able to breathe when she spit up. Let us know what you find out.
kara
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Mon Jun 15, 2009 09:38 pm

I think I hit reply before my brain finished processing my thoughts last night. Sorry!

Certainly I'd recommend you call your Ped. since it could be reflux & it's bothering her that much. My first daughter had reflux & while she'd spewed up a TON it didn't seem to bother her & we never did meds. Ali, on the other hand was on meds at 2 weeks because it *really* bothered her. Arching, screaming/crying, gagging, spewing & turning blue around her mouth.

But, while meds did help the pain part but it didn't seem to lesson how much she spit up so that's why I always had her partially upright. Good luck!!
trish
Forum Moderator

Return to Parents of Preemies