Post Reply FAQ Members Login

RSV is no fun

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

RSV is no fun

Postby tree » Thu Mar 25, 2010 02:37 pm

It seems like many of you have been through it, and RSV still sucks. We really thought she was doing better yesterday, until her fever went up and her breathing got worse. We live at fairly high altitude, so they decided to keep her tonight and tomorrow night. The nurse said she should be pretty much home-free (except for some extra O2) after tomorrow. She is already much better. I can see how this would be terrible with a little one or a preemie. We are very lucky that she is so strong and so big already.
I really wanted to go a whole year without staying here. DD's discharge date was 5/1, so we got pretty close. Maybe next year...
tree
Forum Moderator

Re : RSV is no fun

Postby sarab » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:54 am

Oh no, Teresa. I'm so sorry.

It is rough having a little one in the hospital - no matter the size, age, or circumstance. I hope that things are looking better today, and little Mary Beth is home soon!

Keep us posted.
sarab
Site Admin

Postby tree » Fri Mar 26, 2010 02:28 pm

Thanks Sarah. We are home and doing pretty well. I hope we get to stay.
tree
Forum Moderator

Postby sarab » Fri Mar 26, 2010 04:31 pm

*whew* SO glad you guys are home! I hope she kicks this without any more trouble, and is back to her sweet self soon.
sarab
Site Admin

Postby patty » Fri Mar 26, 2010 04:36 pm

Glad you are home. Sorry your little one got so sick ((hugs))
patty

Postby tree » Fri Mar 26, 2010 08:32 pm

We were a little worried that he might readmit her at her checkup today because she was struggling again this afternoon. Instead, he said that she looked pretty good down there and that we can just keep turning her O2 flow up until she looks good again.
Does anyone have experience with O2 after RSV? We are trying to guess about how long she will be on it and out of daycare. We are blessed with wonderful Grandmas who are going to trade off caring for her until she should go back.. I think it might be about a month, and I am considering pulling her out of daycare so I don't have to pay a month of "vacation" fees.
tree
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Sat Mar 27, 2010 00:13 am

No experience with O2 after RSV - just with round the clock neb. breathing treatments. My 3rd one had it at 13 months & again at 19 months (this one was in the summer!!) Seeing your baby struggle to breathe is the worst!! Glad y'all are home now! (((HUGS)))
trish
Forum Moderator

Postby tree » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:50 am

We are off the O2! She seems fully recovered, and I am still thinking about punching the NICU nurse who told me that adults don't get RSV... She is correct that we don't generally get brochiolitis, but the cold, sinus infection, etc have me wishing for mechanical suction at home for ME.
So, in case anyone needs to deal with O2 and an older, bigger baby... We learned this after watching my DD trying to wrap the O2 line around her tank next to the crib (new toys!!!) and tying her head to the crib railing in the process. It was pretty funny, but it could have been un-funny easily.
Gymboree makes lightweight footed sleepers with snaps at least up to 18M. Everything else has zippers. This is a problem because you need to route the O2 line out near their feet when they are getting better. The Carter's outlet had two fleece sleepers left that had snaps in her size. These things were pretty easy to find in NB and little baby sizes, and they are really hard to find bigger than 9M. The manager of the Carter's outlet thought I was completely nuts. She might be right. Either way, this worked pretty well.
tree
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Thu Apr 01, 2010 08:36 pm

Glad she's recovered but sorry you are suffering now!! Have you ever tried a Neti Pot? It helps flush out the gunk from your sinuses. It's weird but it helps if you can't take sudafed (like me). Although I have been tempted to try & use the "boogie sucker" on myself!!
trish
Forum Moderator

Postby preemomof2 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 09:16 pm

My oldest son got rsv at 1 month old..thats when he started nebulizer, he's now almost 4 and still has to use it everyday for asthma. So yes RSV sucks!

I remember waking up 20 times a night to suction his nose.
preemomof2

Next

Return to After your baby is born .....