Update and new pics of my new preemie

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Update and new pics of my new preemie

Postby hannahsmom » Wed Nov 18, 2009 09:01 am

Okay, preemie moms. I need your support, please. It's been 8 years since my first preemie was born, and I guess I forgot just how hard the NICU setbacks could be. Brandon was born at 35 weeks exactly a week ago and came out breathing on his own. He weighed four pounds, one ounce. He had trouble controlling his blood sugar, but that is finally no longer an issue. He went from his warmer to an open crib a few days later and we were so excited. Then he had to be moved to an isolette to go under the lights for really high bilirubin? levels. He was able to overcome the levels and the lights were turned off. He went back to his crib. But now he has been having desats and they have had to stimulate him to get him breathing again. He also turned blue the other day while he was being fed. He required oxygen that time. He is still breathing on his own without any assistance, but he has been averaging about two desats a day. He is also now having trouble controlling his body temperature so he had to go back into the isolette. He weighed four pounds, one ounce at birth but dropped to three pounds, 13 ounces. He is now up to three pounds, 15 ounces, so we are excited about that. It's just so scary, and the fact that I can only see him every couple of days makes it worse. I can't drive due to the c-section and my husband works a lot and can only take me to see the baby when he doesn't have to work late. The hospital is about 45 minutes from our house. There is a Ronald McDonald House in the area but it's at the other hospital. Brandon is not at the big hospital with the NICU. He is at a different big hospital, but the nursery is divided into two - the regular nursery and the special care nursery, which is where he is located. So, I've been depressed about his issues and the fact that I can't see him. I was released from the hospital Sunday when my bp finally calmed down, but now it's through the roof again. My doctor upped my meds, so hopefully they will start to work. I had a killer headache last night. I am including links to our facebook pictures so you can all see Brandon's latest pics. I am also including the link to our first pictures in case anyone missed them. We are so proud of our little munchkin!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=43612&id=1144450427&l=33710441d3

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=43571&id=1144450427&l=6bf4ae9616

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=43345&id=1144450427&l=a9d53b8392
hannahsmom

Re : Update and new pics of my new preemie

Postby joannek » Wed Nov 18, 2009 09:52 am

I'm sorry you don't get to see him as much as you want. That would be hard.
Sara used to de-sat ALL THE TIME, especially when feeding, but nothing really ever became of it. And from our experience, she wasn't able to keep herself warm til she was over 5 lbs, and then she was like a whole other baby. His little body has a lot going on now, once he packs on a little more weight I think it will all work itself out.
Hang in there, it won't be too long. And very soon you'll be healed up and able to drive yourself all the time.
Ive been thinking of you, glad to see your post and your beautiful little boy!
joannek

Postby brockner1 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:18 am

I am sorry to hear that Brandon is having issues. Stay positive, he will be alright soon. You need to relax as well so your BP can stay normal. Take care!
brockner1

Postby kara » Wed Nov 18, 2009 04:29 pm

Little tricksters, those preemies. They told us that they are often really strong at first and then have setbacks as they get to be a few days to a couple weeks old. He's little, and is just going to do things on his own time. Try to think of it as a good thing he's there, so he's not having these issues at home.

Can you get someone from a church, a neighbor, a relative, a friend to take you to the hospital in between visits when your DH can take you? Please don't feel bad asking someone. I know it's hard to do, but most people would be SO glad to help. OR, talk to the social worker at the hospital and see if they have transportation/taxi voucher's?

Hang in there. He will get stronger and stronger over the next days. You won't be there 103 days like with Hannah.
kara
Forum Moderator

Postby tree » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:43 pm

Does the NICU have access to rooms so you could stay there sometimes? I was in your situation, and it is not easy. I know you have been through worse, but that probably doesn't make this easier. I was too sick to understand that the NICU at our hospital could get one of the post-partum rooms if they weren't full. You could get kicked out at any time, but they had a couch too. FWIW, I was driving after I was home for about a week. My Mom wasn't comfortable with the drive, and I wasn't stoned enough to let her drive my car anymore. You will get there sooner than you think.
The nurses also "offered" to re-admit me if I didn't take it easy. I realize now that I should have just let them do it, but I didn't have a little one at home.
Brandon is adorable. I hope he is able to come home soon. My 35 weeker chugged along for nearly 10 days and then suddenly rallied to come home. Nobody expected it (she was pretty lazy), but I guess they tend to do that.
tree
Forum Moderator

Postby amanda » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:37 am

Just agreeing with what Kara already said - I found that people I didn't even think would help were happy to. I was really surprised. I was also surprised that it seemed like Anna Grace just 'one day' was ready to go home - I really hope that happens quickly.

Thinking of you today.
amanda
Forum Moderator

Postby joannek » Fri Nov 20, 2009 08:43 pm

been thinking of you, hope brandon is getting bigger and stronger. keep us posted when you can.
joannek

Postby holiday » Tue Dec 01, 2009 09:01 am

You know it would have been so hard for me to not go see my baby, but now looking back...I wish I would have prepared the house before she came home. I wish I would have stayed home a few days and just got the whole house cleaned and organized and everything ready for the baby. My baby came home from NICU with lots of medical equipment and the sleep deprivation was killing me...my house was a mess and it just made everything more overwhelming.

So once you feel better, don't feel too bad about not getting out to the nicu. Get everything around the house done that you can so when the baby comes home it will be a more smooth transition.

Right now while you are recovering, get tons of rest and sleep while you can!

And if anyone can drive you out to the nicu.. let them help you. It is important for a preemie to have a parent there and when baby weighs a good amount and can regulate body temp better they will let you do skin to skin contact. That is very beneficial to the baby.

You can do this :o) Good luck
holiday

Postby myangel » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:30 pm

Awww Brandon is super cute! And Hannah looks like a wonderful/proud big sister. Your situation reminds me of what I was going through last year at Christmas. My little guy was in the NICU with similar problems as well. It's really rough to go through and I understand what it's like to want to be there all the time. But as the other's said, take some time to relax, heal yourself, and prepare your house a little bit. It will help you when you finally get to bring him home.
Take care, and you are in my thoughts.
Keep breathing,
:)
myangel

Return to Parents of Preemies