BP still high

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

Re : BP still high

Postby brandib » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:45 am

Alexa----I don't think its baffing to them that I'm still having issues, I think its that my pressures are so high and I don't have anything else popping out that is off to them. They thought I might have some rare tumor in the kidneys that causes really high BP's and flushing etc, which fits my symptoms, but the results were stonecold negative and they went over those results again yesterday and thats when they said that they are baffled because I wasn't diagnosed with preeclampsia so they don't think it's coming from that, I did have severe PIH though. I was on medecation for six weeks PP with my first ( I had severe Pe/hellp) So other than those BP meds, I've NEVER had BP issues or been on mdedecation long term and my pressures are just really high for whatever reason :0( Up until 18 weeks when my pressures started creeping up this pregnancy and then by 20 weeks had a hypertensive crisis, my BP's were like 115/70. I really can't wait to see that Cardiologist! The good news I did get though, is my hyperreflexia is gone! Well, almost, still some in the left side, but it was SEVERE and now it's almost completely normal. After I started seizing, when they would check my reflexes, I would practically kick them in the head! You know, not to start rambling or anything, but what I still find so odd is that I had bad hyppereflexia, headaches that could kill, clonus in my feet, crazy high BP's etc, but my protein never went beyond 250 so it "wasn't" pe this time. So I guess, all of this was caused by just PIH???....
brandib

Postby alexa5 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 01:07 pm

That makes sense re: what they are confused about. But it almost sounds like they are looking for a reason for you to have high bp when there sometimes just isn't (like many of us around here). So, I guess that is why I am saying I am not sure why they are confused about not finding anything else wrong, because there most likely isn't if you are like many of the rest of us that just simply have lingering bp issues after pregnancy (even though we had no issues before or out of pregnancy). I know I have told you this before, but in my case I mainly had high bp, and yes, some protein did show up, but I am not certain that it got to diagnostic level, and they considered me severe pre-e based on pressures alone. I hadn't had any problems before that pregnancy in regard to high bp (only white coat syndrome, and now I know that both my pre-e and WCS are indicators of possible future cardiac issues). When I was postpartum, I had pretty high pressures....anywhere from 150 to 185 over 90 to 110, but no other issues in relation to that and no pp pre-e.

So, I still think in your case that though they didn't diagnose you with pre-e, you possibly had it--as I think you had a few readings over 160/100, and that is all it takes sometimes, especially with all of your accompanying symptoms. Of course I am not a doctor, but I wouldn't rule out pre-e just because your protein wasn't very high. I don't think mine was either, and I had no symptoms other than PIH starting at 28 weeks (and then the bit of protein that showed up close to delivery).

Editing to add something my doc said to me: I had called him while in the hospital (he doesn't practice at the hospital I had to be transferred to), as I was really frustrated with how they were keeping me in the hospital but not really doing much re: my pressures (no real plan as to meds, etc, for the long term). And he said that sometimes it takes a while for everything to normalize, thus why the PP appt is usually 6 weeks after delivery. He suggested I let them know he would monitor me outpatient, so I could leave the hospital and get on the meds I needed to fix the pressures. That is what worked for me...but the point being, though it never hurts to get everything checked out, it can just take a while for everything to normalize.
alexa5

Postby brandib » Wed Jun 02, 2010 01:16 pm

Wow Alexa----I didn't think you could be diagnosed without meeting that lovely 300mg maker lol. But anyways, the Mfm's told me that the cardiologist may just say that I have high BP and leave it at that, but they think that with other symptoms I have, that I probably have some underlying condition. I just want my normal BP back so I don't worry about my brain popping anymore :0) LIke I just did the dishes and here we go again BP 140/110. I took that after sitting down for twenty minutes.
brandib

Postby alexa5 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 01:29 pm

Wanted to add an interesting link...I think it is a great site for summarizing the various criteria for mild pre-e, severe pre-e, PIH, etc. http://www.fpnotebook.com/CV/OB/HyprtnsvDsrdrsOfPrgncy.htm

If you click on severe preeclampsia within the page (the ones in blue are the links to other pages) it gives you the paragraph that shows you only sometimes need to meet one criteria.
alexa5

Previous

Return to After your baby is born .....