Post Reply FAQ Members Login

staph infection

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

staph infection

Postby dolphinjen » Wed Jun 24, 2009 01:06 pm

Lily has a staph infection in her neck. I noticed it one evening when I was changing her and it was a red bulge. I asked the nurses to look at it and they said they'd have the doc look at it in the morning. (there was a neonatologist on duty, but they wanted Lily's regular doc to look at it since he knows her so well).

So anyway the doc looked at it, then an hour later when he went to take care of it (lance it to drain the fluid) he noticed it was even bigger and redder. He lanced it, and now she is on two IV anti-biotics. He said she will be fine, but I am still worried.

Is this common in the NICU? He said it is not. I hope she does not take a turn for the worst.

TIA.
dolphinjen

Re : staph infection

Postby kdreher » Wed Jun 24, 2009 01:42 pm

Michael got a yeast infection caused by his PICC Line and dh was so mad...it happens and he had to be on antibiotics for 7-10 days...luckily Michael was fine. Yeast infections are not common either and it was just one of those things :(
kdreher

Postby jenn » Wed Jun 24, 2009 02:30 pm

Jenny, I'm so sorry that you are dealing with this unexpected news.
Ya' know I don't think it's very common.. but at the same time - it's not the first case I've heard of this happening.
The good news it that it was dx very quickly from what I'm hearing and that the Neo. doesn't believe she will endure any further complications.
I send my love and best wishes!!!
Please pass along an update as you can.. she will be in my thoughts.
-Jenn
jenn
Forum Moderator

Postby julieb » Wed Jun 24, 2009 03:44 pm

Mason had a staph infection from an IV site when he was just a week old. For him at his size and gestational age, it was very scary. He was on antibiotics for 10 days and it cleared it up but we had 24 hours that were very scary. I think the beginning of the infection is the worst and once they are on antibiotics it should clear up quickly. Sounds like she is doing well!
julieb

Postby hannahsmom » Thu Jun 25, 2009 08:42 am

I'm sorry. Glad the doctor was able to take care of it. Hannah caught two infections in the NICU - hers were not staph, though, but she was on IV antibiotics for a long time. Since the NICU is staffed around the clock, they are there to watch for those things. I'm glad you noticed it before it got too bad! Try not to worry - your baby is in good hands. Take Care!
hannahsmom

Postby dolphinjen » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:20 am

So do you think they will keep her in the NICU while she is on the IV antibiotics? I found out yesterday it was Staph Aureus, they are culturing to see whether it is the resistant kind. Hopefully not. Thanks for all your reassurances.
dolphinjen

Postby hannahsmom » Thu Jun 25, 2009 02:07 pm

I would think they would keep here there since she has the IV antibiotics going. Hopefully she will be better soon and can go home!
hannahsmom

Postby jfindley » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:26 pm

My 26weeker had a staph aureus infection in his eyes. Our Neo also said it was not common, but it cleared up with antibiotics. I continually checked his eyes though, worried it would come back. I think that hypervigilance is really common during the NICU experience and even after discharge. Hang in there. She will be home soon.
jfindley

Return to Parents of Preemies