Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Increased levels of cell-free hemoglobin, oxidatio

The Preeclampsia Foundation does not necessarily endorse any research or news found in this forum, we just want to share what is out there. Please use your own discretion to evaluate any information you find here.

Increased levels of cell-free hemoglobin, oxidatio

Postby caryn » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:13 am

by caryn (10111 Posts), Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:13 am

The mean plasma concentrations of HbF, HbA, protein carbonyl groups, membrane peroxidation capacity and alpha(1)-microglobulin were significantly increased in preeclamptic women. The levels of total plasma Hb correlated strongly with the systolic blood pressure. The plasma haptoglobin concentrations of women with preeclampsia were significantly depressed. Increased amounts of alpha(1)-microglobulin-mRNA and protein were found in placenta from preeclamptic women and the levels of plasma and placenta alpha(1)-microglobulin correlated to plasma Hb-concentrations...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19879940

Hmmm. That might have something to do with the rarity of anemia diagnoses among preeclamptics. We've got significantly higher bloodstream levels not just of maternal hemoglobin, but fetal as well -- and also higher levels of the oxidative markers associated with hemoglobin.

Information provided on this site is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the advice provided by your own physician or other medical professional. You should not use the information contained herein for diagnosing or treating a health problem or disorder, or prescribing any medication. The Preeclampsia Foundation presents all data as is, without any warranty of any kind, express or implied, and is not liable for its accuracy, for mistakes or omissions of any kind, nor for any loss or damage caused by a user's reliance on information obtained on the site. Professional opinions on this condition vary greatly. The Preeclampsia Foundation endorses no one course of treatment or "cure".
caryn
Forum Moderator

Re : Increased levels of cell-free hemoglobin, oxidatio

Postby mother bear » Wed Nov 04, 2009 01:40 pm

by mother bear (270 Posts), Wed Nov 04, 2009 01:40 pm

See, that makes me feel better already. Just being diagnosed as anemic last week decreases my chances this time around.
mother bear

Postby jules2 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 09:10 am

by jules2 (514 Posts), Thu Nov 05, 2009 09:10 am

That really bad news for me, with a Hb of 15 which always goes UP not down when pregnant. Maybe this pregnancy is doomed already?
jules2

Postby caryn » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:14 am

by caryn (10111 Posts), Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:14 am

It's a correlation, and they don't really understand the significance of it yet. My Hb goes up too, but I got to 34 weeks...
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby marymom » Mon Nov 09, 2009 09:59 am

by marymom (2 Posts), Mon Nov 09, 2009 09:59 am

Hello, I am Mary, a second year midwifery student seeking my FL state midwifery license (laywoman's terms I will become a homebirth midwife)We do not care for pre eclamptic mammas -rather our objective would be to identify in a timely way, any illness and get mom into medical care so- here I am to learn.
I also write as a grandmother who just saw (late August) her daughter treated for pre eclampsia- and have attended births in the hospital for mammas w/ pre eclampsia-
I will be cruising your forums and your CME pages as Im writing about preeclampsia, please feel free to direct me to anything you believe should be looked at by future midwives :)
warmly, ~mary
marymom

Postby caryn » Mon Nov 09, 2009 07:55 pm

by caryn (10111 Posts), Mon Nov 09, 2009 07:55 pm

Welcome to the forums, Mary.

The links in my .sig are a good place to start. Another useful source for management of preeclamptics with transfer guidelines is the British [url="http://www.apec.org.uk/precog.htm"]PRECOG[/url], or the Pre-Eclampsia Community Guideline.

Feel free to holler with any questions; this place is huge. :-)
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby marymom » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:24 am

by marymom (2 Posts), Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:24 am

you have angel wings sprouting from your back... the Precog will be perfect to have onhand at the school-
I am crawling out of my Blue Ribbon baby cave and gasping...
marymom

Postby blythe » Tue Nov 10, 2009 01:25 pm

by blythe (3060 Posts), Tue Nov 10, 2009 01:25 pm

Welcome, Mary! Like Caryn said, we have tons of information and experiences to share. I'm a natural-birth crunchy gal, but over the years on these boards and my own experiences, I've had quite a few of those "out of the cave and gasping" moments :-D. Let us know if you get overwhelmed or if we can help in any way!
blythe

Return to Announcements and Preeclampsia in the News