Surrogacy is a TTC option after PE

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.
lukesmom06

Re : Surrogacy is a TTC option after PE

Postby lukesmom06 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 04:45 pm

Way to go on sharing your story over here again! You are THE most amazing woman! You know how much we love your Myles and can't wait to find out if there are brothers or sisters or both on the way!!

lauchlan

Postby lauchlan » Thu Oct 15, 2009 03:46 pm

I've been reading your blog and am so inspired by your story. Thanks for sharing & I wish you and your family all the blessings in the world!

mellybute

Postby mellybute » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:22 am

This is such an amazing and wonderful story! Thank you for sharing it and giving woman hope! Congrats on your new twins!

biogal

Postby biogal » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:12 pm

Thank you so much for the congrats and well wishes! K, our surrogate, is over half-way through the pregnancy now and in a few short days we'll find out the genders of the babies!

Angelbaby, I am so incredibly sorry for your loss. The pain of losing a child is something that's incredibly intense and beyond explanation. If you'd like to learn more about surrogacy, I'd be happy to talk with you. Please email me through the forums.

sam

Postby sam » Tue Oct 13, 2009 08:23 pm

niki what lovely news, good luck with everything you and your hubby so deserve this. best wishes to you all and what an amazing cousin!!!

angelbaby09

Postby angelbaby09 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 07:29 pm

Dear biogal,

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

I am new to the boards. I have seen your postings and gone to your website. Your video about Myles was both beautiful and heartbreaking. My heart aches for you and all the women that have suffered losses of any kind.

Unfortunately, I have recently suffered my own loss. I lost my son, Nicholas, on September 12th due to severe preeclampsia and HELLP syndrome. I was only 22 weeks along, therefore, he was not viable. I had developed PE, in 2002, at 34 2/3 weeks with my son, Joseph, just 2 days after being told at my check-up that my BP was elevated, I had protein in my urine and that I needed to stop working. Fortunately, he was born healthy via c-section (I failed to dilate)and just had to stay in the NICU for 9 days for observation.

I was never hypertensive outside of pregnancy and I was never advised not to get pregnant again. I was told that my chances of getting PE again were 15-20%.

This loss has been the most devastating thing I have ever experienced. I have been advised by my OB/GYN to not get pregnant again because of how early it occurred this time. I plan to make an appointment with an MFM, if for nothing else just to be tested for any underlying disorders and for the severity of my risk to be "drummed into my head." I know...as mother to Joseph and as a nurse...that I cannot take chances with my life. I also realize that I am blessed to have him at all, and that I could never replace the son I lost. However, my heart now aches for the second child that I almost had the chance to raise.

I know that my experience is so new and raw, but I have read your story and thought about the possibility of a family member as a gestational carrier. Maybe I am being terribly selfish or dreaming about the hope of having another child through this method as a coping mechanism to deal with the grief of my loss. I have a friend who has done FET, so I have information from her about it. However, I would appreciate learning what you know about the process of using gestational carrier...and more specifically, through a family member.
I have done some internet searches but haven't been all that successful...most just lead to agencies, etc.

Thank you and everyone else for sharing your stories...they have helped me more than you will ever know!

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 13, 2009 04:33 pm

My opinion is that no matter how our children come to us, they are still the most awesome blessings in the world. Congrats, good luck and enjoy the ride!! ;-)

Motherhood is the most amazing thing that I have ever experienced in my entire, entire life. Nothing even comes close for me.

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Tue Oct 13, 2009 04:17 pm

Niki,
I went you Lee Ann's email address.

biogal

Postby biogal » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:28 pm

Leann, I tried to email you, but you don't have an email listed on the forums. I see you are also in WI. I'm so terribly sorry for the loss of your daughter. You ARE a mom, so please don't forget that. I know exactly what you mean though about wanting to take away the worries of preeclampsia striking again and just want a healthy, living, breathing baby. You might be surprised who offers to carry your baby if you put the feelers out there. I'm sure your family and friends would do anything to keep you safe from PE again. I would be happy to discuss all that's involved in surrogacy with you anytime. Please send me an email through the forums here. I'm not comfortable posting my email address on a public forum. Thinking of you. ((HUGS))

leeann34

Postby leeann34 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 09:59 pm

That is such great news! I seriously have considered surrogacy for our next pregnancy. I have actually sent for information about surrogacy and what it entails. The only problem I have is that I don't have anyone in mind that I know who could be a surrogate. I would prefer it to be someone I know but that just isn't the case. I am a little nervous about picking out a surrogate, but have also thought about the consequences of having another baby. My perinatologist relayed the news to my OBGYN that I would have a 50-70% chance of having preeclampsia again. Of course it's not guaranteed, but because I had my daughter Olivia so early (almost 24 weeks) my chanceds are higher that it would likely happen again. I just can't put another baby through what Olivia went through. I don't want to go through it again. It was the most tragic experience of mine and my husbands lives. The ups and downs, praying everyday that God would have mercy on her and then the realization that she wasn't going to make it was just horrible. There are just no words to describe it. 83 days of praying, waiting, and more praying. I hope no one ever has to endure what we went through. That's why surrogacy is sounding better to me everyday. I don't have to carry the pregnancy. I would just love to get the chance to be a mom and if someone else can carry the baby to term so that he/she will be healthy baby is well worth it! Thanks for sharing your story!

Return to “Trying Again after Preeclampsia”