Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Toll-Like Receptor 3 Activation During Preg.

The Preeclampsia Foundation does not necessarily endorse any research or news found in this forum, we just want to share what is out there. Please use your own discretion to evaluate any information you find here.

Re : Toll-Like Receptor 3 Activation During Preg.

Postby l412angel » Sun Feb 14, 2010 07:23 pm

by l412angel (1746 Posts), Sun Feb 14, 2010 07:23 pm

So for next pregnancy would everyone reccomend getting the flu shot?
l412angel

Postby love_the_daschies » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:42 pm

by love_the_daschies (863 Posts), Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:42 pm

Hmm interesting. Right when I saw the articles I wondered if CMV would increase risk - especially since so many people have CMV and never have any knowledge of it or issues from it (the first study HEather linked says yes it does). I also wonder how EBV infection would play out. I have chronic EBV. I would estimate at LEAST 50% of the organ donors we see have either EBV or CMV come back as positive (these are minor infections and do NOT rule organs out for transplantation.

Laura, I always recommend getting the flu shot :) However, and someone correct me if I am processing this wrong, it seems to me the risk is more from a chronic underlying infection and not an acute illness such as the flu.
love_the_daschies

Postby jmom08 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:45 am

by jmom08 (486 Posts), Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:45 am

Hi Laura, if I remember the posts on the main PF page and the advice from my OB right, I think ACOG already recommends all pregnant women get the flu shot. I remember grilling my MFM during my last pregnancy about what I should do if I couldn't find a flu shot without thimerosal (this was in 2005, before swine flu), and he told me that he felt the risks of possible mercury were outweighed by the risks posed getting the flu while pregnant (I did find preservative-free shots for both pregnancies). My guess is that you should ask your doctor(s) to see what they say in your particular case.
jmom08

Previous

Return to Announcements and Preeclampsia in the News