Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Anyone had a 24 or 25 weeker little boy?

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Anyone had a 24 or 25 weeker little boy?

Postby jamilyn » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:26 am

by jamilyn (430 Posts), Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:26 am

I am currently 23 weeks and 6 days so tomorrow I will be 24 weeks! I was admitted into the hospital yesterday and will have some results back today with my 24 hour urine about how bad the protein levels are already. My Peri started the steroid shots yesterday and so today I get the second dose she set up a meeting with the Neonatologist and we toured the NICU. I know im lucky to have such amazing Drs surrounding me and to be taking care of me and the baby but I was wondering if anyone has had a little boy between 24 and 25 weeks who has survived? I know every baby is different and you can never know what is actually going to happen. Right now I have the fact hes a little white baby boy against us and hes already measuring a little small. My 1st son was delivered at 27 weeks and only lived a week so I know the chances of having a baby a few weeks earlier def has a high rate of him not making it just wondering if anyone has had a little one this early who has been that miracle baby.
jamilyn

Re : Anyone had a 24 or 25 weeker little boy?

Postby jacobkaden » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:52 am

by jacobkaden (359 Posts), Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:52 am

My boy was 26 weeks and has survived, but developed every preemie issue except NEC and will have life long challenges. Even though my son has special needs, I am grateful every day to have him with me, as it is a miracle he has survived. When he was in the NICU, there was a 25 week boy who "sailed through" with NO issues (he was not white). I recently read a "study" of babies born at 23-24 weeks, which basically concluded that there was a 25% chance of survival, with no issues; 25% would not make it; 25% would survive with moderate disabilities; and 25% would survive with severe disabilities. Every day you can keep him in makes a huge difference! Praying for a good outcome for you - hopefully your boy will be in that miracle 25%, it can and does happen!
jacobkaden

Postby jul7183 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 03:41 pm

by jul7183 (2 Posts), Wed Nov 04, 2009 03:41 pm

My son was born at 24 weeks and 6 days is just about 17 months old now. He was only 15 ounces when he was born, and it was a very rough road. He spent 5 1/2 months in the NICU and came home on oxygen and a monitor. He ended up having three surgeries, but to look at him today, you would never know. He recently had his one year (adjusted age) developmental checkup and tested on target for his adjusted age in everything! Don't give up hope because miracles do happen!!
jul7183

Postby jamilyn » Wed Nov 04, 2009 04:18 pm

by jamilyn (430 Posts), Wed Nov 04, 2009 04:18 pm

Thank you so much - that does give me some kind of glimer that it can be ok. I know every baby is different even at the same gestation. I just got my urine test results back and it is def PE again and my protein level is at 660, my swelling has gone down some and Ive lost 2 pounds since I was admitted yesterday. Now we are waiting to hear from my OB to come and go over the results and see how long she will allow me to stay pregnant before delivering. My 1st one I went to Eclampsia so quick that no chances will be made.

Thanks again!
jamilyn

Postby kellyebush » Thu Dec 24, 2009 09:04 pm

by kellyebush (9 Posts), Thu Dec 24, 2009 09:04 pm

I know I'm late to the topic, but my son was born at 23 weeks and he survived. He was a "wimpy white boy" as the nicu nurses refer to them. He was only 1 lb 7 oz and 12 1/2 inches at birth, losing down to 1 lb 4 oz. Our only major disability that we have that is long term is blindness. He has stage 5 ROP. He had surgery at 5 months old by a world renowned surgeon (who happens to be in our city-we got lucky there) and the retinas just didn't reattach enough to make a difference. He spent 141 days in the NICU before we finally got to bring him home and it was NOT easy. There were a few times where I found out in the morning that he had required chest compressions in the night because his heart stopped. We were the fortunate ones...most do not survive that early, much less without even worse disabilities. At this point, my son is a small but healthy 5 year old. He didn't start kindergarten this year, because he still has to learn more Braille, but aside from that, he's basically caught up with other kids his age.
kellyebush

Postby brianned5 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 07:47 pm

by brianned5 (567 Posts), Mon Dec 28, 2009 07:47 pm

I'm so sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to you.
brianned5

Return to Parents of Preemies