Deep Thinking

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Deep Thinking

Postby preemomof2 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 05:22 pm

I know I'm blessed that my baby was born and is doing good, but is it wrong to have negative thoughts. Not that I don't want my daughter to do good which she is, but she hasnt had anything to be wrong with her yet and I'm scared that she will. I have thoughts some times that something is going to go wrong and I will take it hard. I dont know how to think. I feel if I think positive then if something bad happens I wouldnt know how to take it. But if I prepare for the worst then I'll respond a little different. I'm jus so confused as how to take in everything.
preemomof2

Re : Deep Thinking

Postby sam10 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:10 pm

It is such a stressful situation to have a baby in the NICU. And it is totally normal that you have all kinds of thoughts and feelings. Does your NICU provide some help through social workers or therapists? In my case every family was assigned a therapist and they would check in with me and I could call them anytime. This I found extremely helpful.

I am glad to hear your baby is doing good! I'll keep thinking of both of you!
sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby preemomof2 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:57 pm

I'm about 2 hours away from my daughter. I'll be over with her in about a week, staying at a Ronald McDonald House. Hopefully then I'll be able to get more involved. Do you know anything about Bradying? K'Lynn experienced that today after being switched from CPAP to the High Flow Nasal Cannula. I tried to research it but I haven't really seen anything that will give me a lot of information or anyone who has spoke about it.
preemomof2

Postby sam10 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:31 pm

I think what you are referring to is that the hear-beat went down as they switched her. I do not really know much about that, but perhaps somebody else around here will have some more information about that.

Good to hear you've found a way to be closer to K'Lynn.
sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby preemomof2 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 06:55 am

Okay thanks. I asked her nurse what it meant and she said that her heart beat got too low and that some times preemies have a hard time remember that they are suppose to keep breathing but that she'll learn.
Thanks. It makes it a lot easier being a couple of minutes away than being 2 hours away.
preemomof2

Postby kara » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:59 pm

The nurse explained it well. It's very common in preemies. As she gets older her brain will be more aware and she'll "remember" to breathe. She's also getting used to a new form of air flow. Nasal cannula is a big step! Congrats for that. The nicu is a stressful place for parents and everything you are feeling is totally normal. Ask if the nicu has a therapist you could talk with. Is hard when no one else really undertands (except us of course). Hang in there!
kara
Forum Moderator

Postby preemomof2 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:36 am

Thank you. K'Lynn has been doing fine since that one episode. They are even thinking about decreasing it from 4 liters to 3 liters. She's a very hard fighter something like myself.
Talk to people that have actually experienced what i'm experiencing now is very helpful.
preemomof2

Postby jenmatt1 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 03:57 pm

know that what you are feeling is normal- even those of us that got to bring our babies home worried about something happening. I swear it took me about a year before I could even put her down. Hang in there and you and your daughter are in my prayers.
jenmatt1

Postby preemomof2 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 02:25 pm

Thank you soo much Jennifer.
preemomof2

Return to Parents of Preemies