My bp is still a bit high?

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

My bp is still a bit high?

Postby katznkt » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:03 pm

First, don't be too concerned.

I was diagnosed as chronic this past pregnancy. Before the pregnancy my bp was 115/65, but it rose to 150-160/90 in the first trimester, lowered in the second and crept back up in the third.

Since delivery (Jan. 4) my bp has been at 135-138/85. Consistent and not rising, but still higher than my original bp. Doctor doesn't seem concerned at my last pp check up, and I don't have insurance so going back in unless it is a big deal is out of the question.

I have been trying to exercise a bit more and eat healthy to try to bring it down naturally. Any thoughts on it? Is it really not an issue I should be concerned with right now since it really isn't that high? What do you all think?

Eventually I want to try for one more but I want to be in my best possible shape.
katznkt

Re : My bp is still a bit high?

Postby sam10 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:21 pm

My doctor told me that other numbers apply to pregnant than non-pregnant women. High BP only becomes an issue over a long period of time according to my doctor. Your body is probably just getting back to normal. Are you still on medication?
Your BP is a bit higher and could be referred to as "prehypertensive". Check out this website, there is a lot more information about BP: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/Hbp/HBP_WhatIs.html

A healthy life-style can never be wrong.
sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby sonja » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:29 pm

I think that working on your diet and exercise are a great idea. Your bp is not super high, I think that it would be considered pre-hypertensive, so it is something to keep your eye on, but not panic about.
sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby katznkt » Tue Apr 06, 2010 04:52 pm

Good. I wasn't panicking, but neither did I want to ignore something I should pay attention to. My goal is to lose 50lbs. I hope by that time my bp will be back into perfect range so that eventually if and when I want to get pregnant again I will be in a better position.

It is certainly better than it was while pregnant and it isn't dangerous high so I am happy. :)Thanks!
katznkt

Return to After your baby is born .....