Panic Attacks 1 yr pp

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

Panic Attacks 1 yr pp

Postby mellybute » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:01 pm

So, I got on low dose Zoloft about 6 weeks pp last year because my anxiety was so BAD after my bout with severe PPPE and readmittance, 4 days more in the hospital, now have chronic hypertension, etc. My anxiety was really bad to the point that I had a knot in my throat 24/7. I also had a couple of panic attacks that took me a moment to figure out what it was because I had never had one in my life. The feeling of impending doom, death, vision disturbed, ears hot, panic, etc. I had like 3 of them all within a month last year up until I got on the Zoloft. The Zoloft worked WONDERS and I remained on it and have slowly weaned off these last three months. My doc completely weaned me on August 20th because I have been feeling great. BP is well controlled on low dose Benicar and runs average 115/70. It has been well controlled also since about 4 weeks pp. Just a little background, long I know.

This last week I have had 2, yes 2 panic attacks. One was small and I was able to pull myself out of it. The one I had last night was horrible. I had turned off all the lights and crawled in bed. And it hit me. FULL BLOWN PANIC AND DOOM. Out of nowhere. My vision seemed fuzzy, ears hot, and I just knew something bad was about to happen. I felt the way I did the night I went back to the ER 5 days pp. What's up with that??? I had been using my moms bp machine for the past year and she asked for it back because she's been having some issues. So I have been without one for about a week and a half. (out of procrastination) Well, first thing this morning I took my happy butt to walmart and bought me a new one. Checked bp and it was 120/68. I had a couple of doc appts 2 weeks ago and it was great too. But I was sure during my panic attack last night that it was threw the roof.

I thought I was soooooooo passed this crap. I knew if I could come anywhere and talk about this it would be here. No one else gets it. I hate these attacks and they seem to come from nowhere. UGH!!!!

mellybute

Re : Panic Attacks 1 yr pp

Postby sam10 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:30 pm

Hi Melissa,

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing panic attacks. They are terrible, terrible, terrible.which I unfortuntaley know out of experience. I am not on any mediciation, but chose to try to deal with them with the help of my therapist who has diagnosed me with PTSD.

I can tell you a bit how I deal with mine, and perhaps you can find it somewhat helpful.
When they happen, I know that they are panic attacks and will feel terrible.
I try to not fight them, but let them happen and accept that this is how they feel - just very terrible
I check with either my husband or somebody else close, to make sure it is just me panicking and everybody else is just fine
I try to learn what trigger them (darkness is never great for me, especially when I am alone)
My therapist has told me that each panic attack has a beginning, a middle and an end. This helps me to wait it out, like a storm.
I try to distract myself. Moving helps me best.
I have some pills, I can take just in case and knowing that they are there helps a lot. I have never needed them after all.
Last but not least, I think that panic attacks are a delayed reaction. Physically they are what you'd experience when your life felt threatened. Pulse is quick, heartbeat goes up, hormones are released, your muscles are tense; you are ready to attack or flee; but because it is the wrong timing and situation, you only experience the symptoms, the threat is long gone (which for us is unfortunately PE).

I hope you can find a way to deal with your panic attacks. You are not alone, I have them too and don't like them a bit.

Sending you hugs.

sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby mellybute » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:54 am

Thank you so much Julija. I too try to distract myself when they happen. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I like your reference to the beginning, middle, and end. I have learned to recognize what they are when they are happening. It's just freaky because I do not know what had triggered these. Maybe the reflection of a year ago and where I was and all. I don't know. My doc gave me Xanax (just a few) and I almost took one two nights ago, but I try not to take anything if I can help it.

Thanks so much for your thoughts and support. It means a lot. (((HUGS))) back to you!
mellybute

Postby beth0277 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 01:14 pm

Awww...Melissa, my heart just breaks for you. I also had PPPE and was just diagnosed with PTSD from it all. I have been on Zoloft, Lexapro & now Paxil for it. I had nightly panic attacks and I know how HORRIBLE they can be. My uneducated opinion is that maybe you should talk to someone, sooner, rather than later. Once your panic attacks start up, it can be tough to get them under control without help, from either medication (not saying this is a must, just my experience) or counseling.

My counselor is doing a process with me called EMDR that helps sort of "move things around" in your brain so it is supposed to help you deal with past experiences easier. It is used for a lot of patients who have had traumatic health experiences. If you have a counselor, or find one, you may ask them about it, or look it up on the web.

Hugs to you! I know what you are going through and how hard it is. Please let us know how you are doing!
beth0277

Postby mellybute » Thu Sep 23, 2010 01:26 pm

Thank you Beth. I have thought of talking with someone and I definitely will if I don't get some relief. And I will not hesitate to get back on Zoloft if this continues. I will def look into the EMDR as well.

The frustration comes in feeling like I was doing so well and then BAM, maybe not so much. I think the Zoloft just calmed my nerves enough for me to not allow the anxiety to overtake me.

Ahhh, thanks so much for you input and support. It helps to know that I am not alone. I am sorry we all must go through this crap. I know things could be worse and that frustrates me even more. Like I should get over these feelings. And somehow be able to control it. But I can't and I know that.

Blessings to you!! and hugs also!
mellybute

Return to After your baby is born .....