Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Maternal vitamin D deficiency increases risk of PE

The Preeclampsia Foundation does not necessarily endorse any research or news found in this forum, we just want to share what is out there. Please use your own discretion to evaluate any information you find here.

Maternal vitamin D deficiency increases risk of PE

Postby caryn » Thu May 31, 2007 04:08 pm

by caryn (10124 Posts), Thu May 31, 2007 04:08 pm

"Maternal vitamin D deficiency may be an independent risk factor for preeclampsia. Vitamin D supplementation in early pregnancy should be explored for preventing preeclampsia and promoting neonatal well-being..."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17535985?dopt=AbstractPlus

(I got PE as a lifelong resident of Phoenix, AZ -- so probably I wasn't short on my vitamin D! The usual "don't experiment on yourself" caveat applies here. If you think this might be a possible therapy to be explored in your case, talk to your doctor.)

Information provided on this site is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the advice provided by your own physician or other medical professional. You should not use the information contained herein for diagnosing or treating a health problem or disorder, or prescribing any medication. The Preeclampsia Foundation presents all data as is, without any warranty of any kind, express or implied, and is not liable for its accuracy, for mistakes or omissions of any kind, nor for any loss or damage caused by a user's reliance on information obtained on the site. Professional opinions on this condition vary greatly. The Preeclampsia Foundation endorses no one course of treatment or "cure".
caryn
Forum Moderator

Re : Maternal vitamin D deficiency increases risk of PE

Postby amayasmom » Mon Jan 11, 2010 07:46 pm

by amayasmom (16 Posts), Mon Jan 11, 2010 07:46 pm

I live in CA. and just found out I have a Vitamin D deficiency disorder. In other words, my body does not process Vitamin D correctly so all the sunshine in the world won't help. I have to be on a very high dose supplement.
amayasmom

Postby shadow2356 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:46 pm

by shadow2356 (168 Posts), Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:46 pm

I had PE and HELLP. After my pregnancy I was tested for everything, or so I thought. I was trying to concieve again. When my daughter was 18 months old I found out I had breast cancer. It was until then that they tested my vitamin D level. It was 14. It should be between 30 and 100, ideally around 60. All along I was taking vitamin D along with my prenatal vitamins. The issue is with how my body is processing it. All women should have a blood test for their vitamin D level, especially those who have had PE because deficiency in D can cause many things.

I am lucky that my breast cancer was stage 1 and I have an excellent prognosis. I do wonder if the cancer and the PE/HELLP could have been avoided with a simple blood test and a $5 Rx.

Our breast cancer journey: maryellenandjulianna.blogspot.com
shadow2356

Postby sam10 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:53 pm

by sam10 (1437 Posts), Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:53 pm

I was diagnosed with Vit. D deficiency. My level is 17, so definitely on the lower end. At the beginning of my pregnancy and the entire spring I spent a lot of time in southern Europe, so I don't believe that I did not have enough sun exposure. I have been put on Vit. D pills by my primary care and he wants to re-test me in about 8 weeks.

sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Fri Apr 23, 2010 03:47 pm

by caryn (10124 Posts), Fri Apr 23, 2010 03:47 pm

When I had my levels tested after this work started to be published, they were well within the normal range. One possibility here might be genetically variant receptors for vitamin D, which IIRC can go along with some autoimmune conditions. There are a couple of universities following up closely on this data, so hopefully we'll know more soon.
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby sam10 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 04:00 pm

by sam10 (1437 Posts), Fri Apr 23, 2010 04:00 pm

A few days ago I talked to my regular ob (via phone) about all my test results and he thought that Vit. D is not a critical indicator for PE. We shall see if the Vit. D pills do the trick for me or not.
sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby jgrumet » Fri Jun 11, 2010 01:28 am

by jgrumet (520 Posts), Fri Jun 11, 2010 01:28 am

hmm that is interesting....

I am not deficient in D, but my body processes the D3 oil-based capsules strange. It made my TSH rise (while keeping my t4 and t3 in normal range)....

weird...unless it was just a lab error.
jgrumet

Postby jgrumet » Fri Jun 11, 2010 05:12 pm

by jgrumet (520 Posts), Fri Jun 11, 2010 05:12 pm

Hey- just some food for thought...

people with higher BMIs are generally d deficient because it is stored in fat cells.

Isn't a woman's BMI an indicator of her risk for PE?
jgrumet

Postby jamilyn » Wed Jul 14, 2010 02:36 pm

by jamilyn (430 Posts), Wed Jul 14, 2010 02:36 pm

After reading this I asked my PCP to test me and since living in Phoenix I thought forsure I wouldnt have a deficiency but I am. Im not starting the huge RX pills for it. I wonder how long Ive had this problem though cause I know this is the 1st time I have ever been tested for it and I had to ask to have the blood work ran. Im 26 in good shape, not over weight and live in the sunniest place in the US so I guess they just figure we dont have taht problem.
jamilyn

Postby amayasmom » Fri Jul 30, 2010 01:11 am

by amayasmom (16 Posts), Fri Jul 30, 2010 01:11 am

To Sam10-my OB didn't think D was a major factor either, and didn't think it would be low, but indeed it was. Perinatologist said I was tested for all factors, but not D and my Rheumatologist also found a blood marker that indicates my blood clots faster than most. Another cause of PE.

After taking many high dose forms of Vit. D, my levels continued to drop and went from 22 before taking supplements to 17(even worse). The supplements were also making me very nauseous. I told my doctor (a Rheumatologist as I have Fibromyalgia) that we had to figure out something else to get my D up. I suggested a topical D cream as I know that D can be absorbed through the skin. She called several other professionals and found that there is a sub-lingual (under the tongue) Vitamin D spray available. It is not by prescription, it is online only. Anyway, after using it for a month or so, my levels are up into normal range of 57 with no more nausea! If you are having trouble getting your D level up, I would recommend talking to your doctor about trying the sub-lingual D spray!
amayasmom

Next

Return to Announcements and Preeclampsia in the News