Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Kindergarten and Prematurity

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Re : Kindergarten and Prematurity

Postby sarab » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:06 am

Cindy, how wonderful that things have just fallen into place! What a great opportunity for Grace.
sarab
Site Admin

Postby kelly1972 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 03:19 pm

I 'm in the same situation as you but, my daughter is a little bit younger. I don't know what to do either and I'm searching out advice as well.I have been thinking of this topic for the last 6 mths and I'm totally confused on what to do with my soon to be 4 yr old. her birthday is Sept 9th. My daughter Nicole could go to what we call Junior Kindergarten here in Canada its not mandantory though. She's a former micro preemie born at 27/4wks who spent 10 wks in hospital. She is tiny and has no real medical problems and was released from both early intervention and a preemie clinic with no problems over a 1 1/2 yrs ago. She's an only child and has no real interaction with children at all. She's around adults mostly. I have talked with her pedi and he wants her in some kind of program. I'm thinking of nursery school which would consist of 2-3yr olds for 3 days a week. JK is everyday 1/2 day 5 days a week. I don't know she can handle that yet. Am I being selfish by holding her back and starting her in Kindergarten in 2011? Good luck with your decision for your daughter and I hope everything works out for you all.
kelly1972

Postby mnmom » Tue Jul 13, 2010 09:05 pm

Hi Kelly, First off, you are NOT being selfish. Whatever decision you make regarding nursery school or Jr Kindergarten, you are making with her best interests at heart, and will be the right answer. Second, I can't believe that she is almost school aged!!! Where did the time go?
mnmom
Forum Moderator

Postby missgamecock » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:58 pm

Kirsten was a late premature baby at 36 weeks but was small at that age. Do what you feel is right for you. When she was in preschool and prek, she did not participate and was extremely shy. What we found when they tested her in K was that she had actually picked up everything. She just didn't express it! She started K already having it completed. This was a girl that the preschool teacher told me would have special needs. Yes you read that right. We have excellent schools here. When they tested her, they tested her in a way that fit her needs and she aced it. When she started kindegarden, they taught her in the way that she needed to be taught. They developed a program for her and two other kids to follow that fit THEIR needs. I think she really blossomed and caught up with other kids as far as gross motor skills, etc around 3rd grade. Now she fits in perfectly. She is 11 1/2. She carries a 98 grade point average. She won the presidental gold award this year and it is for students that carry a 95 or above grade point average during 4th and 5th grade. She is in the ACE program (similar to gifted and talented), is a leader among her classmates, dances 4 classes a week (really helps with those gross motor skills), will be student teaching dance in the fall, plays the violin beautifully.

You need to evaluate her for her. You need to follow your gut instinct. For me, I thought that preschool teacher and director were CRAZY. Yes she had gross motor issues. Yes she was small. Yes she did not participate. I knew she would be fine in kindegarden. She has been excelling ever since. Sometimes our kids surprise us.
missgamecock

Postby klutsyone01 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 06:42 pm

this is my experience as the child. i was born at 30 weeks due to my mom having an incompeten cervix. i was extremely petite for my age. my mom enrolled me in kidegarted at the normal time. i was so much smaller than the other children that i was carried around by them and called their dolly. that first year i didnt gain out of kindegarten what i should have, either social or educational goals. my wonderful kindegarten teacher and my mom made the choice to hold me back. whereas i didnt bloom the following year i at least held my own with my peers. i still needed speach therepy and extra help learning to read, i eventauly came out the top of my class. im not sure that this would have happend had i remaind with my first class. its not a huge blow to your childs feelings to be held back at that age. it would be better if she could remain with the same teacher both years though. if it becomes in issue with my little man than i will try and see on the first year of kindegartn and if he struggles or doesnt adjust then i will hold him back then.
klutsyone01

Previous

Return to Parents of Preemies