Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Aspirin early in pregnancy to cut pe study

The Preeclampsia Foundation does not necessarily endorse any research or news found in this forum, we just want to share what is out there. Please use your own discretion to evaluate any information you find here.

Aspirin early in pregnancy to cut pe study

Postby miamibunnie » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:54 am

by miamibunnie (510 Posts), Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:54 am

check this link out it was published on July 30th 2010
http://www.thedoctorschannel.com/video/3510.html
miamibunnie

Re : Aspirin early in pregnancy to cut pe study

Postby jean » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:06 am

by jean (675 Posts), Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:06 am

Is that true? I thought it wasn't proven yet to help??? Is there any other evidence supporting this out there on pubmed or somewhere?
jean

Postby miamibunnie » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:16 pm

by miamibunnie (510 Posts), Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:16 pm

I don't know but happen to come across it last night. I also was looking at Columbia.edu and if you click on clinical trials and type preeclampsia you will see all the different types of research there doing on this. As a matter a fact this is the link.

http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?term=preeclampsia
miamibunnie

Postby riehlism » Mon Aug 02, 2010 02:21 am

by riehlism (655 Posts), Mon Aug 02, 2010 02:21 am

The first link Lisette provided does site:

Prevention of Preeclampsia and Intrauterine Growth Restriction With Aspirin Started in Early Pregnancy: A Meta-Analysis
Obstet Gynecol 2010;116:402-414.

So it looks like the most recent issue of Obstetrics and Gynecology Journal. If you were trying to find the actual literature you can find this on PubMed.

The meta-analysis is the strongest type of research in the heirarchy of the types of research articles. The gold standard in research is a randomized controlled trial (RCT). A meta-analysis analyzes multiple RCTs. So it looks like this study analyzed the results for 34 RCTs, which is why the population is so high (11,000+ women). This is a pretty strong article.

Please remember not every research article printed in a journal is a well done article. Meaning, results of a research is only as strong as the design of the research. If the design is weak, the results pretty much mean nothing. Typically, it's people who are involved in the ins and outs of the field that can fully determine the strength of the article, which therefore strengthens the result.

In any case, fantastic find Lisette!

For the Moderators: is there any way someone can post information to provide the members with the tools to figure out how to understand the parts of a journal article? People are used to accepting that if something is printed in a medical journal, it's as good as the Gospel. It seems that people on this site are truly trying to understand the science behind what's happening and want to be on top of the most current research. Just my opinion, but I think giving members the tools to be able to pick out good articles might be empowering. (Eg: discussing study designs and why one study might be stronger than another, basic statistical analysis, etc).
riehlism

Postby jean » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:21 am

by jean (675 Posts), Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:21 am

Thank you, riehlism! What you said is very true..
wow..that really makes me happy and hopeful-thank you! Even if it just prolongs pregnancy by 1.4 weeks, anything is a help! (And maybe that's just an average anyway?)
jean

Postby caryn » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:08 am

by caryn (10124 Posts), Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:08 am

Jasmin, yes -- I try to do this now by incorporating little bits of philosophy of science etc. into each journal article I post, or links to others that do a better (or funnier) job of explanation than I do! And then of course when posters ask for clarification people with the background -- like you -- often pop in and clear things up nicely.

When the site overhaul comes online here shortly we will be able to incorporate more such explanation independently of articles, but at the moment one thing we know for certain is that the stickies disappear for most people once they start searching Active Topics only, so the stuff I sticky is still mostly off everyone's radar. :) That's why I embedded the links into my .sig, too. And the majority of our site views don't even come from the forum.

Here's a couple examples from me:
http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=39318
http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=39866
http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30759
http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=37926

But any of our posters who know this stuff -- we have a PhD immunologist and a PhD epidemiologist and an IRB human research director and a histocompatibility tech at the big transplant hospital in Boston and several nurses and several biology teachers and you on the site at the moment -- often chime in too, which is awesome and I love seeing it. :)

I'm bumping this one up to the Experts, because the last time I asked them about this, in May, they were pretty dismissive of the value of aspirin at this point, in response to new research they'd just seen. Could have been something at a poster session that hasn't made it into a journal yet, but I'm sure they'll make some sense of it for us.
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby amandaoasis » Mon Aug 02, 2010 02:58 pm

by amandaoasis (541 Posts), Mon Aug 02, 2010 02:58 pm

Preface: I did not read the article...I'm hoping someone will just know the answer because I am lazy.

Most women don't get PE a second time no matter what they do or don't do. Was this confounding factor controlled in this study?
amandaoasis

Postby miamibunnie » Thu Aug 05, 2010 08:08 pm

by miamibunnie (510 Posts), Thu Aug 05, 2010 08:08 pm

No problem. The saddest thing of all that they need to educate more women on this condition. Anything that can do is my pleasure. When I log in here I feel like I am not alone.

quote:
Originally posted by riehlism

The first link Lisette provided does site:

Prevention of Preeclampsia and Intrauterine Growth Restriction With Aspirin Started in Early Pregnancy: A Meta-Analysis
Obstet Gynecol 2010;116:402-414.

So it looks like the most recent issue of Obstetrics and Gynecology Journal. If you were trying to find the actual literature you can find this on PubMed.

The meta-analysis is the strongest type of research in the heirarchy of the types of research articles. The gold standard in research is a randomized controlled trial (RCT). A meta-analysis analyzes multiple RCTs. So it looks like this study analyzed the results for 34 RCTs, which is why the population is so high (11,000+ women). This is a pretty strong article.

Please remember not every research article printed in a journal is a well done article. Meaning, results of a research is only as strong as the design of the research. If the design is weak, the results pretty much mean nothing. Typically, it's people who are involved in the ins and outs of the field that can fully determine the strength of the article, which therefore strengthens the result.

In any case, fantastic find Lisette!

For the Moderators: is there any way someone can post information to provide the members with the tools to figure out how to understand the parts of a journal article? People are used to accepting that if something is printed in a medical journal, it's as good as the Gospel. It seems that people on this site are truly trying to understand the science behind what's happening and want to be on top of the most current research. Just my opinion, but I think giving members the tools to be able to pick out good articles might be empowering. (Eg: discussing study designs and why one study might be stronger than another, basic statistical analysis, etc).

miamibunnie

Postby caryn » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:11 pm

by caryn (10124 Posts), Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:11 pm

Here's the PubMed abstract.

CONCLUSION: Low-dose aspirin initiated in early pregnancy is an efficient method of reducing the incidence of preeclampsia and IUGR.

This is a meta-analysis of a bunch of studies, so the argument will now move to the quality of the individual studies that make up this meta-analysis. :)
caryn
Forum Moderator

Return to Announcements and Preeclampsia in the News