Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Nebulizer treatment tips (for almost 3 year old)

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Nebulizer treatment tips (for almost 3 year old)

Postby hols537 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 05:30 pm

Alexander had bronchitis/bronchiolitis again. It was pretty bad he'll be doing daily nebulizer treatments for at least the next month and a half. For the past week, we've used the TV to keep him still for the treatments, but now he's starting to feel better and is fighting me much more. He's not a little guy anymore, so just holding him isn't really possible. Anyone have tips for getting an almost-3 year old to sit still for the treatments? I'd really prefer not to have to sit him in front of the TV twice a day for this since it also means the baby will be watching most of the time too. Thanks in advance!
hols537

Re : Nebulizer treatment tips (for almost 3 year old)

Postby jenn » Thu Jan 21, 2010 06:38 pm

Holly - Oh how I have been there. No fun.
With Natalia I use her elephant neb mask and always put Horton Hears a Who as a "neb time theme", we put the TV up loud and stick a pillow over the neb machine to drown out the noise a bit.
I know watching TV isn't the greatest, but it makes doing the nebs w/ the TV on a special treat.

Or maybe some internet time on Noggin.com with educational games and fun would be good incentive??
Just another I have up my sleeve here at home.

Or maybe a piggy bank/jar he gets a quarter for each time he does a treatment and gets to spend it over the weekend at the dollar spot at Target??
Just think - a trip to Target for mom as a "reward" too ;o) LOL!

Sending you my best, I know it's not much fun.
Jenn
jenn
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Thu Jan 21, 2010 09:56 pm

(((HUGS))) Ditto the computer games idea. PBS kids.org has good stuff that my girls like. Or if the TV hold his interest, just accept that 20 minutes at a time for a treat while doing neb isn't the end of the world for either of them! We did The Tink movie for Ali this summer when she was doing the neb every 4 hours. Even so it was usually a 2 person job!!

We were at the Ped. Tues. for Ali thinking it was another sinus/URI/bronchiolitis thing starting but her snot wasn't green for a change & her lungs were clear so it seems like just a cold/URI for now. :::knock on wood::: She doesn't seem to be getting worse sinus wise but occasionally when I hold her I hear/feel a little wheeze so we'll see. But her biggest sis started with the cold tonight.
trish
Forum Moderator

Postby darateacher » Fri Jan 22, 2010 03:21 pm

I know that my Adam will have to do this for a long while, too...these are great ideas!
darateacher

Postby patty » Sat Jan 23, 2010 03:49 pm

I have been having to do treatments for both Raleigh and Randall the last few weeks due to bronchitis too. There is definitly no way I could get Raleight to do it if he weren't cooperating. He was scared of it at first but I told him it was like blowing bubbles and then he was happy to put it in his mouth and breath it in as it seemed like a game to him and he was making the smoke. I will also do it with the tv on or you can give them when they are sleeping which was the easiest for me with Randall. I would try to get up before him and do one in the morning, one at naptime and one right when he went to bed.
patty

Postby hols537 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 07:13 am

Thanks! We ended up getting a basket of "special toys and activities" (super cheap things that he picked out) that are just for playing during the neb treatments. That seems to be helping. We are also bribing him with fruit snacks which I know are awful for his teeth, but I figure it's better than not breathing in the short term.

Good luck everyone! I may ask to go back to the inhaler with spacer if it gets bad again. That was much easier.
hols537

Postby marialynn242 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 01:00 pm

what about trying it in the morning before he wakes up and at night when hes asleep thats what we do
marialynn242

Return to Parents of Preemies