Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Hi, I'm Laurie!

Residents of Canada

Hi, I'm Laurie!

Postby hazaiahsmommy » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:39 am

by hazaiahsmommy (8 Posts), Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:39 am

Hi everyone, I'm new here!
So happy to have found this site, finally ready to get some support and reach out to people.

I'm from Brantford, Ontario and I suffered from severe preeclampsia.
I was told by my midwife that I was just a new mother overreacting.
It was so bad I thought I might die! I called 3 days in a row to the midwife only to be told that I should take Advil to stop the pain and gravol to stop the throwing up. She wouldnt even see me!

On the 3rd day my friend insisted that I go to the hospital with her. Sure enough I was diagnosed immediately and rushed by ambulance to ************ in Hamilton.

3 more days in a blackened room, no food because they didnt know when I would have to have surgery. The second day I was there my midwife tried to see me but was refused. She left a not apologizing for brushing me off and said that when I was ready to vent to her I was welcome to.

My son Hazaiah (meaning God decides) was born June 12th at 1:00pm at 24.5 weeks of gestation. He weighed less than a pound at only 400 grams. Although we were warned of his poor chances we had great hope.
Unfortunately, Hazaiahs lungs burst 10 days later and the only time we were able to hold him was the first and the last when he died in our arms.

I have seen a lawyer in regards to the midwife, he said I have a case. I just cant pursue it through courts etc. its too much money and too much grief.
I have scheduled a meeting this coming Friday to meet with the midwife.
Has anyone been through this?
hazaiahsmommy

Re : Hi, I'm Laurie!

Postby caryn » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:27 am

by caryn (10124 Posts), Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:27 am

Please don't post anymore about this on the internet or via email. It is all discoverable and admissible. We would not recommend discussing this with anyone other than a "retained" attorney where you have privileged communication rights.
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:32 am

by caryn (10124 Posts), Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:32 am

And I am so, so very sorry for your loss.

There are a lot of posters on our Grief and Loss forums who, sadly, have very similar experiences with the deaths of their children.

I have a similar experience with a midwife in a different country and will totally keep you company on the ranting about recognizing when things have gone off the rails, and how some of them are really not so good at it.

But ixnay on the egal-lay, okay?
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby hazaiahsmommy » Sun Oct 10, 2010 01:21 pm

by hazaiahsmommy (8 Posts), Sun Oct 10, 2010 01:21 pm

k thanks for the not so much help
hazaiahsmommy

Postby hazaiahsmommy » Sun Oct 10, 2010 01:23 pm

by hazaiahsmommy (8 Posts), Sun Oct 10, 2010 01:23 pm

If anyone has any experiences that they would like to share with me and give support please email me at lauriefoster27@yahoo.ca
Thanks

Its a world of no help out there when it comes to this stuff
hazaiahsmommy

Postby kerisue » Sun Oct 10, 2010 02:34 pm

by kerisue (623 Posts), Sun Oct 10, 2010 02:34 pm

Laurie, I'm so sorry about baby Hazaiah. My little girl was born just a few days before he was at about the same gestational age. She lived for a little while too and it was torture not being able to hold her- or even touch her sometimes. It's the worst thing for us to have to go through isn't it? Even though we aren't able to speak with you about legal concerns here, this is a very supportive community of experts and regular women (and men) like you who've suffered and lost from this terrible disease.
kerisue
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Sun Oct 10, 2010 03:15 pm

by caryn (10124 Posts), Sun Oct 10, 2010 03:15 pm

Laurie, it's for your legal protection, to protect your case! And email is also discoverable and admissible, so I think I'd recommend sharing phone numbers in email and then communicating that way -- again, to protect your rights.

We have a number of posters with similar histories -- it's one primary reason we can't share names of hospitals or care providers on the forums.

Much love to you.
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby rosemary » Sun Oct 10, 2010 03:16 pm

by rosemary (2360 Posts), Sun Oct 10, 2010 03:16 pm

Laurie, I am so sorry for the loss of your sweet Hazaiah. I welcome you to post if you would like in our grief and loss section of the forum. I know when I initially went through my loss, I thought I was completely alone in my experience and how I felt. What I found on the forum was a group of kind, compassionate women who I could really realted to, and who understood what I was dealing with. Please be gentle with yourself ...my thoughts are with you.
rosemary
Forum Moderator

Return to Canada