Post Reply FAQ Members Login

doula or midwife

Residents of Canada

doula or midwife

Postby dohertyab » Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:21 am

by dohertyab (236 Posts), Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:21 am

Hello all. I'm in my second pregnany and so far all looks good (17 weeks) and am hoping for an uneventful rest of the pregnancy. I'm wondering if anyone used a doula or midwife for subsequent deliveries. I'm currently seeing the high risk doctors and will see them throughout my pregnancy and I'm fully aware that I may not go full term and may require all that the high risk folks provide, but I think I would feel let down if I didn't look into the possibility of a low-key calm delivery. There must have been 35 people there for my girls and with me on mag sulfate and I'm not sure what else, I'm a little fuzzy on the whole delivery. So my question is does anyone know where to look for a doula or midwife who would be able and willing to provide help if all is going well and not feel out of place delivering at a high risk hospital? I'm in the Hamilton, ON area.

Andrea
Tara and Rowan (29 weeks, now 3 and happy and healthy)
dohertyab

Re : doula or midwife

Postby canada1 » Tue Mar 22, 2005 05:56 am

by canada1 (36 Posts), Tue Mar 22, 2005 05:56 am

Hi Andrea!

I didn't use either for my first (wanted to but they were completely booked and I guess considering I developed pre-e at 30 weeks it's probably a good thing) and have not yet gone through a second pregnancy. Here is a link that lists some doulas and midwifes in Ontario. http://www.lifepassages.net/Links.htm#Ontario and here is the website for the Ontario Association of Midwives http://www.aom.on.ca/

You will have to pay for a doula and if you already have a OB you will have to pay for a midwife as well since I don't think OHIP will allow both.

Hope that helps!

Stephanie
&
Graeme 12-16-02 (born at 31 weeks due to preeclampsia - 3 lbs. 2 oz.)
canada1

Re : doula or midwife

Postby hazaiahsmommy » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:12 am

by hazaiahsmommy (8 Posts), Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:12 am

Hi Andrea!
as Stephanie said I'm sure you'll have to pay for the additional service. Honestly, if you're looking for someone to keep you calm I'd say Doula. Although I am biased because I used a midwife for my first. Things went terribly wrong, she proved to be incompetent and she is the owner of a well established midwifery clinic.
DOULA! However, if you are seeing high risk OB's at **** I can say from experience that their nurses are spectacular and put you at ease so very much! They cared for me for nearly a month, top notch!

I'm Laurie, from Brantford
hazaiahsmommy

Return to Canada