Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Stressed... Premei.....Advise welcome!!

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Stressed... Premei.....Advise welcome!!

Postby emttink » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:50 pm

by emttink (8 Posts), Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:50 pm

So I had my little girl at 34 weeks, which is on the older end of the preme side of things I know. I had PE that did not present like normal PE. So she was in a nicu for 9 days and sent her home on a apnea machine and told that she was fine. After see the Peds doc 48 hours later she was rushed back to the NICU for breathing problems. So here I am back at the NICU. She was at sitting in the 80's for O2. I just wonder if there will be long term effects on her now. The other thing that I find odd is that she does not open her eyes, when she tries they roll backwards. Is this normal for kiddos her age? She also sleeps all the time she has to be woken up to feed, and then she is still sleeping during that time? I know they should sleep but shouldn't she wake up sometime? After all she is now 36 and 4. To top it all off I have a 6 year old at home that is sick, and a husband that is commuting 2 hours each way to be with our NICU baby. I think I am drained. How do you handle time with both kids? Any advise is truely welcome!!
emttink

Re : Stressed... Premei.....Advise welcome!!

Postby lola1971 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 03:58 pm

by lola1971 (174 Posts), Wed Sep 15, 2010 03:58 pm

I don't have any experience on your situation but I wanted to send prayers for a speedy recovery. The only thing I would recommend is to hound her dr's for answers. Can you stay at the hospital or is there a Ronald Mcdonald hourse nearby? I would ask the nurses. Ask many direct questions- that is the best way to understand and get the info you need.
lola1971

Re : Stressed... Premei.....Advise welcome!!

Postby kdreher » Tue Sep 28, 2010 02:05 pm

by kdreher (2482 Posts), Tue Sep 28, 2010 02:05 pm

I had a 32 weeker who was 2lbs 10 oz, NICU for 6 weeks. I have no other children, a dog, but it was stressful no matter what. Michael passed all tests - no apnea, car seat test, and came home at 4lb 1 oz w/o issue. I have no experience with apnea either...I will say all babies sleep alot...no matter preemie or not so that is very normal. Hang in there I promise it'll get better..before you know it, she'll be turning 2 like mine is soon.
kdreher

Re: Stressed... Premei.....Advise welcome!!

Postby cmiller1965 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 03:11 am

by cmiller1965 (3 Posts), Sat Nov 06, 2010 03:11 am

I read your post. Are you back home? How are things going?
I had a 2 1/2 month hospital stay with our daughter who was born at 30 weeks 3 days.
cmiller1965

Return to Parents of Preemies