What does the abdominal pain feel like?

Have you suffered from HELLP syndrome or had a pregnancy complicated by an underlying disorder? Discuss your concerns here

Re : What does the abdominal pain feel like?

Postby mulholland.miracles » Thu Aug 26, 2010 09:50 pm

you will absolutly know when somethingg is wrong, the pain is so unbearable, i have never felt anything worse in my life.. it started out feeling as though i was constipated, so i went to the bathroom, and the pain still did not go away, it kept getting worse, it was like a piercing pain, right underneath my breastbone,right above my belly.. when i tried to breathe in it was like i was unable to take a full breath, nothing will relieve the pain, laying down, sitting down, its like this pain that wraps itself inside you.. I developedpreeclampsia with my first pregnancy, deliveres at 27.2 weeks, withh my second pregnancy, i developed it again at 31 weeks, along with hellp syndrom, i am so grateful for my life and my children, do not ever second guess yourself, if you think something is wrong, call the doctor, no MATTER WHAT TIME IT IS, or go to the ER
mulholland.miracles

Re : What does the abdominal pain feel like?

Postby mweston » Thu Sep 09, 2010 08:45 pm

Unfortunately my pain was not acute. It felt like what might have been a stretched muscle or regular aches and pains. I didn't think to mention it to my OB. I ended up going into the hospital 2 nights later with an abrupted placenta. I did not have any cramping, nor did I have any bleeding due to not having the low platelet part of HELLP. The OB did not even know my placenta had torn away until he went to remove it after the emergency C-section.
mweston

Re: What does the abdominal pain feel like?

Postby angieb » Wed Nov 17, 2010 02:36 pm

Would it be possible to get a "sticky" for this again?
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/
angieb

Postby hdaugherty85 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:08 am

I had a horrible pain right under my rib cage. It felt like I had a brick wall pressing down against my chest. I couldn't breathe. My mother chalked it up as just "baby pains" and took me for a walk (at like 2am), still couldn't breathe. Took a hot shower (as I heard that helps), still couldn't breathe. I was literally curled up in a chair crying because it didn't matter if I sat, or stood, walked or remain stable... I just couldn't breathe. It felt my ribs were crushing. I think that pain was worse than anything I experienced in actual labor (and I had a pretty decent size baby with no epidural).

My doctors actually thought it was just gallbladder pain, and had actually thought we'd just be taking that out after I gave birth. They were wrong. Very wrong. :(
hdaugherty85

Postby ChristinaV » Mon Feb 07, 2011 07:58 pm

Reading this has me so upset. I am 31 weeks, been on bed rest for the last two weeks. A couple days ago, I went to L&D because of this same pain. All of my bloodwork, urine tests, and everything came back FINE!!! So, they did an ultrasound and I DO HAVE gall stones!! They are planning to take it out upon delivery. I just have to kind of 'deal' with the pain until then. I am on BP meds, today my bp stayed around 135/90 to 140/100. The threshold they have given me is IF my bottom number gets to 110....then I need to head into L&D. But, this pain is STILL there nagging & I feel short of breath. I go to a high risk dr Wed. and my OB on Friday. I don't want to be nervous nelly, but this is so frustrating. Anyone have this PAIN with normal labs & liver enzymes? Just curious.
ChristinaV

Postby trish9 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 09:01 am

I had only a minor "bump" in liver tests (2 points above normal range) in one of my liver tests when I first went to the ER for the pain. They also checked my gallbladder and thought it could be related to stones, although none were blocking the gallbladder duct. My MFM saw the results later that day and insisted that I be admitted. Upon re-draw my liver numbers were normal. Unfortunately two days later the pain worsened and my platelets started dropping fast. Please go in and insist on getting labs again and have them monitored frequently! It may all truly be related to your gallbladder, but HELLP can get really bad really fast, so it's better to be extra cautious. You should not feel bad about being a "nervous Nelly"...this is serious stuff. Keep us posted on how you are doing.
Trish
Pre-eclampsia and HELLP at 23 weeks +2 days
My little love Alexander. Born and passed on January 3rd, 2010.
Underlying disorders: IgA nephropathy, chronic hypertension and Hashimoto's thyroiditis
trish9

Postby lilysmommymindy » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:06 am

My pain was much like another post, I felt as if my ribs were being crushed....I described it at the time like getting a bear-hug that never let up. It was right under my breasts, on my ribs all the way around. They hurt so bad, I tried going to the restroom, taking a hot shower and finally had to wake up my husband to take me to the er because it hurt so bad. Never doubt yourself, go to the hospital immediately if you feel something is wrong. Trust your gut, it could save your and your baby's life!
Mindy

DD#1 Lily Adrianna: 8/28/08 Born 36wks 0days due to Class 2 HELLP Syndrome and Severe Preeclampsia via csection. 4lbs 10oz 17in
Fortunate to have a healthy baby and mommy, no NICU needed.

DD#2: Tatum Nicole: 8/6/10 Born 39wks 5days Scheduled CSection Preeclampsia and HELLP FREE!
7lbs 3oz 20in
Took Baby Asprin between weeks 20-36 and was co-monitored by MFM & OBGYN
lilysmommymindy

Postby annamarie89 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 02:03 am

I had pain right under neath my lower ribs. I also couldn't breathe from the pain. And I had pain in my back between my shoulder blades. I called my midwife and told her what was going on sense they said call before you go in to see if I really needed to go in. And she said it sounded like the baby was just in my rib cage and told me some positions to do to make the baby move down... Then two days later I went in for my induction and found out I had HELLP.
Ryleigh Marie was born on January 30, 2011... and passed shortly after. She was 40 weeks and 1 day when she was born.. weighing at 6lbs and 2 oz. and 20 inches long.

I was induced.. and during labor found out I had HELLP.
annamarie89

Postby Lee2011 » Wed May 18, 2011 04:48 am

I had mild pain on my right-side just under my ribs - I "laughed" it off as the baby kicking me and never mentioned it to anyone as it wasn't that bad and came and went - the first time I remember noticing it was at 32 weeks and I wasn't induced until my blood pressure started to rise at 38weeks - guess everyone experiences it differently - but have to admit I've been telling everyone I know who's pregnant to watch out for right-hand rib pain.
Mother to baby boy Lee born 12/3/2011 after emergency induction at 38weeks following diagnosis of severe atypical HELLP syndrome. Having come within hours of losing both our lives every smile is a celebration.
Baby sister Paige c-sectioned at 38 weeks with no signs of HELLP :)
Lee2011

Postby sdaugherty » Thu Nov 10, 2011 03:42 pm

Did anyone read the article about the reality TV star who recently had HELLP? In the article, she described the pain just the way many of you did...crushing. Was glad to see an article on this in a major magazine, as many have never heard of it.
sdaugherty

PreviousNext

Return to HELLP Syndrome Survivors and Underlying Disorders