New/Reply FAQ Members Login

prevelancy of HELLP

Have you suffered from HELLP syndrome or had a pregnancy complicated by an underlying disorder? Discuss your concerns here

prevelancy of HELLP

Postby jean » Wed Nov 17, 2010 07:54 pm

Does anyone know how common HELLP is? My OB said that the doctors here see cases of it every month...I am curious as to whether he's grouping HELLP with pre-e or if he truly sees HELLP patients that often. :?
Our first son was born and passed in Feb of 2010. Born at 29 weeks due to HELLP and passed due to NEC. We miss him every day. :~(

Our second son was born at 39 weeks gestation in Nov of 2011. No HELLP or pre-e! Took LDA starting at week 12 and went off of it at week 38!

http://findingtherainbowconnection.blogspot.com/
jean

Re: prevelancy of HELLP

Postby catherine » Wed Nov 17, 2010 09:58 pm

About 10% of pregnancies are affected by hypertensive issues, about 5% will be complicated by preeclampsia. About 1% end up with HELLP syndrome. Not as uncommon as people think but I've met many OBs who had relatively small, low risk practices, who considered it extremely rare. I was fortunate that Lucy was delivered at the main academic hospital in the state where we were living, with board-certified MFM attendings and a level III NICU. Consequently, they were quite famililar with all manifestations and saw at least one severe case/month.
Mom to Finn, Lucy (HELLP syndrome) and Chloe
catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby atvlady » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:11 pm

Me personally I think the statistics are much higher then what doctors say. You have to look at what percent is not diagnosed or undiagnosed. My OB said all of the sick pregnant women are sent to them so they see and can accuratley diagnose these syndromes. Knowledge and communication is key.
Delissa (38) Darrell (45)

1-Rissa-Janelle "Darren" King 20+1 June 6, 2009 10:33 p.m. to June 6, 2009 11:53 p.m. 6.8 ounces. Severe PIH, Severe Preeclampsia and Severe HELLP. No diagnosed underlying condition.

2-TTC as of August 30, 2010
8-15-2011 Now infertility is a issue. We will be doing IUI.
atvlady

Postby jenmatt1 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 08:46 am

I have lived in 3 states since having HELLP with my daughter- all have been in fairly metropolitan areas and it varies. I ask the docts how many cases they see a year- and how many have Class I HELLP- all the practices have been fairly large. The first told me they see 5-8 cases a year. The second OB told me she personally had never seen 1 and her practice saw 3 in one year (didn't stay with them very long). My current OB here in Florida says it sees about 10 cases a year and a lot more PE. 3 of the 7 docs in the practice have had PE in at least 1 of their pregnancies so it makes me feel more comfortable that they take my concerns seriously.

When I did have my daughter in Connecticut- I got put in the special maternity suite for high riskers- with a million doctors visiting me throughout the day. It was a teaching hospital and I was a rare sight for them to see for lots of reasons- Class I HELLP, my daughters heart started racing so we had a million neonatal docs and pediatric cardiologists in the room to monitor to me until I got into delivery room.

I think it is important to ask the doctors how many specifically they see with HELLP a year - not just PE - because my symptoms were very different with HELLP. I did not have Blood pressure issues right up until the end. My biggest issues were my liver & kidney function and my platelets dropping substantially.
Mom to Olivia 4/4/2008 born at 34 1/2 weeks due to class I HELLP
Declan born 1/4/2011- no HELLP or PE- YEAH
jenmatt1

Return to HELLP Syndrome Survivors and Underlying Disorders