permanent birth control

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

permanent birth control

Postby joker » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:11 am

I think I've made a decision to go ahead and get my tubes tied. Several of my docs have all expressed the same concern over what would happen to my liver if I had another pg. After Alison it took about a year for it to go back to normal function. And I do not want to risk my health and not be able to care for Alison or be the kind of mom I want to be.

I'm so thankful for Alison, but there is still a part of me that feels empty over this decision. Do I want more children, yes, but in the end I know this is the right choice for my family and for me. My head just has to keep reminding my heart.

I never imagined I would be having to make such tough choices at this point in my life. I hope that one day a another child will find its way into our family, but until then I plan to fill the void with a new puppy. :)
Jen-type 1 diabetic
Abigail-born still June 29, 2007; PE/HELLP @ 18 weeks
Alison-4/17/2009; PE/HELLP @ 34 weeks
joker

Re: permanent birth control

Postby joker » Tue Nov 09, 2010 06:11 am

About the vasectomy, I just feel like I need to protected against pg and if something should happen to me I would want Russ to get remarried and at least have the option of more children, if that is what he would want.

As for the puppy, we will probably get a saint bernard. We had to put ours down in Oct and he was a great family dog. And big enough to scare off any riff raff.
Jen-type 1 diabetic
Abigail-born still June 29, 2007; PE/HELLP @ 18 weeks
Alison-4/17/2009; PE/HELLP @ 34 weeks
joker

Postby amandamm » Tue Nov 09, 2010 07:11 am

Enjoy your puppy! What kind are you getting? Or did you already get it?

What about a vasectomy? That would be less invasive, and cheaper :) I know a girl who got Adiana and that can be done in a doctor's office.
Mom to Addie & Evie, Pre-E x2 (34w6d & 37w2d)
due December 28, 2011!
In our hearts forever: missed miscarriage @ 10 weeks (July 2008) & miscarriage at 7 weeks (February 2009)

Addie Lu & Evie Too ~ Deda's Little Duds
amandamm

Postby amandamm » Wed Nov 10, 2010 06:11 am

ahhh! I see! Can't wait to see the new pup!
Mom to Addie & Evie, Pre-E x2 (34w6d & 37w2d)
due December 28, 2011!
In our hearts forever: missed miscarriage @ 10 weeks (July 2008) & miscarriage at 7 weeks (February 2009)

Addie Lu & Evie Too ~ Deda's Little Duds
amandamm

Postby mrss » Mon Nov 15, 2010 09:22 pm

We're having similar discussions in our house. My DH is going to make an appointment with a surgeon for his vasectomy. I hated being pregnant this last time--I was anxious, I felt ill, I felt guilty for putting the baby, my DH and my son through such a rough pregnancy--and yet I'm still sad that I may not have any more children. After I had DD, my OB told me "We're not going to let this happen to you again." He was already talking with my DH about contraception the same day she was born. He and I talked about it again last week at my 6 week check-up and he said he would still be my doctor if I got pregnant again, but he knows that it was really hard on me last time. He asked if I wanted something reversible until I had decided for sure that I was done, but he said he really thought the best thing for me physically is to make peace with the situation and to not have any more. It makes me sad. I'm also a control freak and it angers me that I have to make this decision because I got sick.
Michelle (38)
DH (50)
Adam 6/10/06 at 37w2d, 5 lbs. 12 oz.
Julianne 10/4/10 at 35w5d, 5 lbs. 5 oz.
mrss

Postby susheli » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:32 pm

Hi Jen,

I had the Essure procedure done after my second severe PE pregnancy and second section. My doctor strongly advised me not to put my body through another pregnancy. The procedure was simple and painless and I would highly recommend it over having your tubes tied. Emotionally - well, it is still difficult. I would have loved a big family and still mourn that PE has taken that away from me. But I, like you, felt that I owed it to my children and myself to make sure they would have a mother, and a healthy mother.

We're also thinking of a puppy. ;)

Good luck and take care,
Susannah
susheli

Postby kdreher » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:10 am

I also had Essure done and it was an easy procedure, no surgery, no side effect..my monthly period is the same. I had my tubes tied in 2000 and reversed in 2003, I didn't want to go through it again. IUD was out of the question as I knew no more kids for me at the age of 40. I would say look into the Essure and honestly my OB suggested it as he said you never know down the road I may be single and I want to protect myself again pregnancy..well, he had good insight in my case, I am single now and glad I don't have to worry down the road when/if I am in a relationship.
~Kristine~
Michael Jon (11/19/2008) 32 weeks 2 days, 2 lbs 10 ounces, Preeclampsia, IUGR
Tyler (3/9/1995 ~ 3/23/1995) 26 weeks 3 days, 15 ounces, Eclampsia, HELLP, IUGR
kdreher

Postby hannahsmom » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:31 am

Hi, Jen. I am just joining the boards again. So happy that Alison is doing so well! I had my tubes tied during my second c-section. I had so many complications during both pregnancies and I knew I couldn't go through another pregnancy. I had terrible regrets afterward, and actually went into PPD over it. I don't think it was a good idea to do it when I still had the pregnancy hormones going crazy. But, now a year and a half later, I am so glad that I made the decision. I know that my body just can't handle another pregnancy, and, like you, I don't want to leave my kids without a mom. It is a super hard decision, but I know that you will make the right decision for you and your family.
Suzanne, Mom to:
Hannah Rose - 26 weeker - 1 pound, 1 ounce and 12 inches long, born 8/24/01. Now the tallest kid in the class!
Brandon James - 35 weeker - 4 pounds, 1 ounce and 16 inches long, born 11/11/09. Very happy baby!

Complications during pregnancies: Severe Preeclampsia, Pulmonary Edema, IUGR, MTHFR, Factor II and Factor V Blood Clotting disorders

Miracles do happen!
hannahsmom

Return to After your baby is born .....