fetal movement at the end of the pregnancy?

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
jenmatt1

Re: fetal movement at the end of the pregnancy?

Postby jenmatt1 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 03:01 pm

so baby seems to be ok right now- my bp was elevated for me but still only 133/80, they did find sugar in my urine so they did bloodwork but I probably won't have results until late tomorrow or Monday morning- wondering what that means
Mom to Olivia 4/4/2008 born at 34 1/2 weeks due to class I HELLP
Declan born 1/4/2011- no HELLP or PE- YEAH

jules2

Postby jules2 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:15 am

I would go in if you feel there might be a reduction in movement, but yes, I also think this is quite normal towards the end. Definitely my baby is now moving less; she just has no space in there. x
May 2009 - Alice stillborn at 26 weeks due to severe PE and HELLP post-partum

2 early miscarriages

And then 4th pregnancy baby girl due 29th December 2010! Born safely after totally normal pregnancy on 17th December.

jenmatt1

Postby jenmatt1 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:59 am

I have only had one NST and it was because I fell a few weeks ago. There had been no real reason to have those before this point. I finally broke down and called nurse. I am waiting for her to contact me back.

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Wed Dec 08, 2010 02:38 pm

I agree that you should call anytime there is a concern over movement. That said, my last two babies have been very active, but patterns of activity have definitely changed in the third trimester. Even now at 32 weeks, this little guy's movements aren't as frequent and wild, but they are slower and more deliberate with twists and rolls. I mentioned my concern two visits ago (though I felt pretty confident it was just because he was so much bigger), and my MFM assured me that as long as I was getting kick counts then it was fine. In the meantime, I would do kick counts more frequently. I generally do them two or three times a day because I get busy with the other littles and may not pay enough attention otherwise, though my doctor only recommends once per day. Are you getting NSTs and/or BPPs now?
Heather (PAI-1 4G/4G) mama to:
Nicolas Edison (6/2004) 36 weeks, PE, HELLP, and placental abruption
Ella Amelia (3/2007) 37 weeks, lovenox, PE-free
Oliver Lyon (1/2011) 37 weeks, lovenox, PE-free
Milo Mason (2/2014) 39 weeks PE-free

rebecca2

Postby rebecca2 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:11 am

Well, I only made it to 35w6d in my last pregnancy, but my understanding is that the movement will *change* because there is less room in there. I remember my MFM telling me there won't be as many kicks and jabs, instead it will feel more like rubbing/rolling because the baby is running out of room. Does that make sense? I also remember him saying that as the pregnancy progresses your baby will start developing a sleep schedule too, which will change the patterns.

If you're concerned, call your doctor and ask for an u/s and NST. There is no need to stress over something for another week. Most doctors understand the need to treat the emotional side of things in a subsequent pregnancy.
Becky
Mom to...
baby girl Addison 3/11/09-3/11/09 (severe preeclampsia 26w5d)
baby boy Aden 5/25/10 (35w6d low amniotic fluid)
baby boy #2 due 7/4/11

jamie w

Postby jamie w » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:45 am

Towards the end of pregnancy the movements become more twists and turns and less kicks as there is less room to move around. That being said however, anytime you notice less movement you should really report that to your doctor. Your labs can be fine and you can still have a baby that is not really tolerating the environment. For example, in my last pregnancy my labs (other than protein) were never off but look at our outcome. The baby was clearly not tolerating the environment even though my body *seemed* o.k. Have you been doing kick counts? Try laying on your left side and if the movements do not pick up then I would put a call in. An NST is easy and can make a huge difference! Keep us posted.
Jamie
DD Carly 7-1-04 PE at 37 weeks (6 lbs 9 oz)
DD Anna 12-3-07 PE at 24 weeks and delivered at 38 weeks after 13 weeks bedrest, gestational diabetes, and oligo. This sweet baby has cerebral palsy and epilepsy thanks to my dear friend PE (5 lbs 15 oz)
DS Gabe 2-24-11 at 35 weeks for chronic HTN with superimposed PIH (5 lb 13 oz) 18 NICU days
http://www.ourlifeinholland.blogspot.com

jenmatt1

fetal movement at the end of the pregnancy?

Postby jenmatt1 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:33 am

My daughter was born at 34 1/2 weeks and so I never made it to this point before. Plus her placenta was in the front and I did not feel her move or kick very often. This preganancy is different. Declan has been kicking around in there for months. But now at 35 weeks I have noticed that he is not moving as often as he was before. I have had a headache the last few days, but last labs were normal a week ago. Also my bp is up but not high enough for anyone to be concerned 120-130/70-78. My next appointment is Tuesday and I hate waiting.

Is this just because he has moved down and he is getting bigger? Or is this something I should be concerned about. Am I just panicking myself by worrying about this? With my daughter, I never noticed movement really because it wasn't common with her. With him, I am more nervous. Plus I think I am panicking myself because I feel like HELLP is inevitable at some point for me in this pregnancy.

Return to “Pregnant Again?”